Is it safe to change incubators?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by teutschb, Mar 1, 2011.

1. teutschb

teutschb In the Brooder

Jan 25, 2011
    Alliance, OH
    I have purchased a new Brinsea 20. I was wondering, if It is regulated with temp and humidity, can I put eggs out of old incubator into new one,or do I need to follow through with the old one? Some eggs just got put in a week ago, and others have been in maybe 2 weeks. I wasn't sure if this is possible. Can someone give me some advice???(my old incubator is a still air, big Giant) [​IMG]

2. suzettex5

suzettex5 Songster

May 26, 2009
    California
    Yup, you can switch 'em over. Although, I think it would be wise to put the older eggs, those further in development into one bator, and the younger, less developed eggs in a different one. That way, when lock down and hatching starts for the older eggs, they will have their own space to hatch without needing to be moved during a critical time. Then after the hatch, you can always switch the younger eggs into your new bator, and now you'll have room for MORE eggs in your old bator...and the circle continues!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Crowing

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I see no problem I have changed incubators for hatching out the last 3 days and had no problems. Good luck with what ever you decide [​IMG]

4. macdoogle

macdoogle Songster

Feb 11, 2010
    San Diego
    I would think that if you are not in lockdown and the temp in the new bator is steady you can move them. Good luck.

5. thatchickenlady

thatchickenlady Chirping

Nov 15, 2009
    New York
    No problem in changing them over to the new incubator as long as the new machine has been up and running for a while so you know it's holding temp, humidity, and otherwise working properly.

6. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I was forced to change cause the thermostat in the old one gave out. Luckily I was testing the new one and just switched over. Sometimes things happen for a reason even if we don't know what it is at the time.

7. critterranch

critterranch Songster

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: