Is it safe to eat eggs from chickens who carry CRD

wholewheatchicken

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Lebanon, Ohio
We have 25 RIRs that are five weeks old. They got sick with a "cold": sneezing, discharge from nose and shaking their head. My best guess from a lot of research is maybe infectious laryngotracheitis, but I'm not a doctor for sure!!!!! I picked this one from symptoms that fit our birds. They did not have any oozy stuff in their eyes. I treated them with Duramycin in their water. I want to cull, but DH is too attached and won't hear of it. So our question is will it be okay to eat their eggs when they start laying? I understand if we keep them to have a closed flock and I am fine with that, but it is working on my gross factor to think about sick chickens and their eggs. Of course, I keep telling myself if I knew what they did to the commercial chickens, cows, pigs......etc. that I would never eat anything again. I am just looking for someone to offer wisdom since I do know these guys had a "cold". Thanks in advance.

Quote:
I dont believe your are dealing with ILT. ILT usually occurs in chickens over 14 weeks and older. Additionally one of the symptoms is expelling blood clots from their trachea. You would definitely know that as one of the signs of ILT.
If you smell a foul odor about the head area or nostrils of your chicks, it coryza. Sulmet will treat it, if that's what it is. It sounds like it possibly could be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.)
If that it what it is, I recommend that you treat them with denagard. Denagard has no withdrawal nor resistance to it. It can be purchased from QC Supply. Type "denagard" in the BYC search box and read up on it if you wish.
Your other option rather than treating is to cull your chicks. You will have to disinfect everything; waterers, feeders, any place they were housed etc...oxine would be your best bet to sanitize everything with.

Quote:
Duramycin is only tetracycline, which is perfectly safe for humans. The amount in the eggs will be miniscule compared to the dosage we use in humans. No absolute reason to withdraw eggs. If you are allergic to tetracycline, withdraw.

Quote:
Duramycin is only tetracycline, which is perfectly safe for humans. The amount in the eggs will be miniscule compared to the dosage we use in humans. No absolute reason to withdraw eggs. If you are allergic to tetracycline, withdraw.

Here's your proof: Post #33... Give them a call if you wish.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=193203

Dawg, that's not "proof," that's just the official stand from the company. They say that about anything that does not have the appropriate testing to be FDA approved in humans.

But any human safe drug does not have an "absolute" requirement for withdrawal as long as the human is not allergic to said drug.

I know. Because I prescribe ivermectin, tetracycline, sulfa antibiotics and various other drugs for my human patients.

Quote:
Here's your proof: Post #33... Give them a call if you wish.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=193203

Dawg, that's not "proof," that's just the official stand from the company. They say that about anything that does not have the appropriate testing to be FDA approved in humans.

But any human safe drug does not have an "absolute" requirement for withdrawal as long as the human is not allergic to said drug.

I know. Because I prescribe ivermectin, tetracycline, sulfa antibiotics and various other drugs for my human patients.

How do we know that the OP and his family are not allergic to this particular antibiotic? We dont. I will tell everyone here what the recommended withdrawal times are for their personal safety for any product. Then if they want to eat the eggs, that's there decision, not mine. Personally, I observe withdrawal times.

I did order Denagard today. I thought it was a good thing to have on hand, along with oxine, which will be here tomorrow. I didn't mean eating the eggs now while they are being treated, I meant eating the eggs when these girls grow up. I don't want to get sick from eating an egg that is from a chicken that was sick. And there was no blood from them. The only symptoms they have is head shaking, runny nose and some sneeze and one of them is opening its mouth really wide, I'm assuming to breathe better. They did not smell weird and their eyes appear to have no involvement. It is contagious, though, because all 35 birds have it. It's not mites/lice either. If not IL, what else do you think might cause these symptoms? I can come up with a lot except they have no eye discharge.

Quote:
The denagard should clear it up. I'm glad it's not coryza, phew! Denagard dosage for treatment is 16cc per gallon of water for 3-5 days. The preventative dose is 8cc per gallon of water for 3-5 days. My understanding is that it is very bitter, you can add karo syrup to it if you want, I dont know how much though.
You can mix the oxine with water according to directions and use a spray bottle with a fine mist over their heads. Hopefully it will work prior to getting the denagard. You can look up the mixture directions if you havnt done so already.

I just want to make sure everyone understands there are no eggs. These are babies. All of them are babies:) It's making me sick to think about eating their eggs when they grow up. I wanted to know if anyone else eats their chickens' eggs after they have been sick with a respiratory illness? I've seen the pictures of the insides of chickens that have been sick with some of these illnesses and it's pretty scary and since some of these illnesses tranmit via the egg, I wondered if that made the egg iffy on whether you should eat it or not.

Back
Top Bottom