is it safe to feed my cornish X slugs?

Quote:
They should love them. Some will tell you that they can taste the difference between a chicken that has access to forage and one that does not. I am sure that is true, but I would not expect a few slugs to alter the taste significantly. Still those with a discerning palate can probably tell.

Quote:
They should love them. Some will tell you that they can taste the difference between a chicken that has access to forage and one that does not. I am sure that is true, but I would not expect a few slugs to alter the taste significantly. Still those with a discerning palate can probably tell.

Weeeelll, its not gonna be a few slugs. we have alot, every evening i come out of the garden with about 2 litters of slugs, more or less. depending on the weather
between 19 meats. that's still alot. and it will be constant. i was hoping they could get some extra protein from it
as long as it dosen't make the meat weird im ok with it. but this is not really foraging, lol

some chickens won't eat slugs. My feeling is if they like 'em let them have 'em
lol.png

I have heard (don't know if it's true) that slugs and/or snails can give birds gape worm . . . don't really know about that though.

I don't have meat chickens, but I let my flock eat slugs. It usually starts a rousing game of keep-away. I have also heard about gapeworm, but I thought it was in regard to red worm and other earth worms. Whatever the case, I mix a little food-grade DE in their mash just in case.

Chickens usually do not eat slugs, something to do with a toxin produced in their slime that allows the slug to move along on. Not many animals of birds eat slugs/snails.

Get a few ducks. They are the slug lovers and will keep them in control easily. We have a few call ducks that have been pinioned (to keep them from flying off). Each morning you’ll see them make their rounds, picking through the gardens and lawn for their cherished slugs. An added plus is they don’t dug holes in the flower/vegetable gardens.

Back
Top Bottom