Is it safe to have two roosters living in the same area?

If they have plenty of room, they probably wont fight, but one will try to keep all(or at least the preaty ones) of the hens to himself. And will try to stop the lesser roo from having his way with the ladies.

If they have plenty of space and 6-8 hens per roo, you should be fine (although they will still spar for space). If you have too little space or too few hens, the fights will be more serious and possibly dangerous. I have read that if you have only roosters and no hens, the roosters will fight less (no need to show off when there are no girls around), but I have never raised roosters only!

Plenty of space and plenty of women and they'll get along fine.

If I had plenty of space and plenty of women, I'd be easier to get along with, too.

I have a coop that is fairly large for the 13 chickens that live there, 3 roos and 10 hens and they get along just fine and they even take turns with the hens. LOL! I think they get along fine because they were all raised together at the same age. They have their spats but thats just like any normal faimily, right! Its like an older brother pickin' on the littler brother.

Last edited:
It depends more on the individual roosters than anything else.

You'll just have to wait and see.

I have 2 in 1 run that get along fine, and another that would kill them if they got into the same pen, but gets along fine with the cockerels in his pen.

i have one ri red roo, and several silkie roos assorted colors....they all seem happy and get along fine with my turkey and peacheck...so do not worry:cd:gig

Quote:
I would be happier with plenty of space and a few less women.
wink.png
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom