IS IT SAFE TO SEVEN DUCKS AND GUINEA HENS please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dorothy1324, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    hey just noticed that the chickens have lice and wondering if it is also safe to put seven on the ducks and guineas as they all intermingle.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd just get a regular poultry dust that is meant for feather mites and poultry pests. Many use seven to no ill effects. However, all these things are poisons to some extent so concentration is key to how it will affect the bugs and animals.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Guineas no problem but I'd hesitate to use it on the ducks. They do a lot of feather preening.
    That said, I wouldn't use it or anything else unless it was necessary. Don't assume the guineas & ducks are infested just because the chickens are-different blood chemistry.
    Sometimes not all breeds of chickens in the same coop will be bothered by mites. I had some Black Rosecombs that were always harboring feather mites-it was a constant battle. The RI Reds in the next pen never had any-seperated only by wire.

4. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Thank you

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Do not use Sevin on ducks. It will kill them. I read a post about a guy who dusted his ducks with Sevin, and a day later they were all dead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by