Is It safe to use Neosporin (Or related Antibiotic creams) on chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TommyDaDelaware, Sep 9, 2012.

1. TommyDaDelaware

TommyDaDelaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    I have a poor sweetie who keeps getting pecked by other birds!! I had put neo on it and it was getting better, but my dad said not to, in case it could make her sick. It's around her head. So i stopped. But do you think it's safe? She has sores on her feet, too. should i put some antibiotic cream on it to keep it from getting infected? Is is safe to the chicken, is my main concern. Thanks!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I've used Neo on my ducks several times with no ill effects. Just not the pain medicated one.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

They are fine to use on chickens, as long as it doesn't contain any "caine" type pain relievers. So check the label for anything with "caine" in its name; like Lidocaine etc.
    -caines are toxic to birds.

other type pain relievers are OK

Imp- Good Luck

4. TommyDaDelaware

TommyDaDelaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    I just checked, and it doesnt. I applied some to her many peck marks, and at first she struggled and peeped, but then she settled in and looked at me with this perfect look of "What the Heck are You Doing?!" on her face!!

5. kathleen23

kathleen23 New Egg

Jan 12, 2012
    the best thing for most chicken wounds,i have found, especially those caused by other birds, is a product called no peck or something like that. it has tee tree oil, and herbal oils that the chickens don't like the taste of, plus it stays on the wound longer...super glue works really well too for closing skin tears such as attacks by dogs, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by