Is it supposed to look like this?? Chicken and dumplings

hecatesmoon

Songster
7 Years
May 15, 2012
MO chicken keeper since 4/2012
I am making chicken and dumplings for the first time. The water is cloudy, the bottom of the pot has some sort of film (?) on it. Should it look like that? Do I use this water in the finished product or change the water? To me, its funky looking, but I am used to everything coming out of a can or a box and putting just about everything in a microwave! ... I learned recently too that green beans have a taste and texture and that blueberries don't taste like the little hard nuggets in the boxed muffin mix. Lol

Ewwwww... ...would this have anything to do with the chicken being in the shed all day, because we had to buy an axe because we couldn't get the head off?
hmm.png

WHAT????????????

You don't put the dumplings in til it boils & you don't stir. Cover reduce heat & they should bake on top the chicken in pot.

There will be some scum looking stuff on the bottom of the pot, it is from the chicken cooking and it's OK.
Depending on what you put in with the chicken, the broth may be a light amber color and clear, or if you have starchy vegetables in the pot, it will be cloudy.

That helped me feel a little better! There's little white stuff in it. Its just the chicken that's in there. I know, and I'm embarrassed, but I really am clueless. I really appreciate the help. I don't have anyone to learn from, everything I am learning to do is strictly by trial and error and what I can find online.

Back
Top Bottom