Is it time yet? What to do?!

hensandchickscolorado

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Englewood Colorado
Okay, how do I know if we are getting close to egg laying? I have 3 pullets, one with a red wattle (barred rock) at 18.5 weeks old today. One (welsummer) I'm sure is nowhere close, and I have no idea when EE's start to lay. But the barred rock seems...well a little bit different lately.

All three are hanging in the coop much more than usual (but it's not hot or cold out), and at least one of them is creating mounds of pine shavings; digging all the way down to the floor. Are they trying to make a nest?

I covered up the nesting boxes when they first went to the coop because they were sleeping in there. Is it time to uncover? Stick some golf balls in there? I have been feeding layer feed for a few weeks now & just bought oyster shell.

What else should I do to prepare? I'm so excited!!!!

Thanks!

Hi, If your roosts are higher than the nesting boxes and they use the roost every night, then I would uncover the nesting boxes and put some fake eggs in them. My first eggs came when my girls were about 21 weeks, so you shouldn't have long!
fl.gif

I would definitely open the nest boxes and place golf balls inside. I have one girl laying and she laid in the box the first time and every day since. Yesterday, I observed five others watching her routine and they went in and out of the nest boxes too. She's a great teacher! Now you just have to be patient...that's the torturous part!

Back
Top Bottom