Is it to early to give my ducks layer feed?

I have already started doing that, but could never get all the membrane out! DO I have to get all the membrane out or just some of it?
I just let my egg shells dry on the counter in a shallow dish for a day or two, then crush them up. I store them in a container and give to my chickens. I haven't given any to my ducks yet. But, my chickens prefer the egg shells to the oyster shell.

Well I should preface that spinach doesn’t actually deplete calcium, but the calcium in it is negated by the oxalic acid in it rendering it essentially calcium free. I’ve seen people say spinach kills calcium, but in reality it doesn’t kill calcium, it just doesn’t have any nutritionally speaking because of the oxalic acid. If you consume something containing calcium with spinach you still get the calcium from that other food, but not from the spinach. If I were in your situation with only 1, I would feed that drake a special treat of spinach before layer feed, and give your girls another green or no greens whatsoever.
I learn something new everyday. I looked into this (and should have before repeating the advice). You are correct about the spinach and oxalic acid. The calcium in the spinach is negated by the oxalic acid because it binds to the calcium. But, it only does it within that food. So, how would feeding the drake spinach make the layer feed safer? Unless I am misunderstanding. :confused:

Thanks for the advice! So....should I go ahead and switch to layer feed? What are you guys thoughts? I am going to look into a all flock feed I just don't want it to be to expensive. If it is to much $$$ then I will just stick with layer feed.

Thanks for the advice! So....should I go ahead and switch to layer feed? What are you guys thoughts? I am going to look into a all flock feed I just don't want it to be to expensive. If it is to much $$$ then I will just stick with layer feed.
No....I feed a grower finisher and oyster shell on the side when my hens are laying. I also add in cracked wheat and scratch grains..

No....I feed a grower finisher and oyster shell on the side when my hens are laying. I also add in cracked wheat and scratch grains..
Great! So you suggest not to use layer, but just use grower/finisher with oyster shell?? Sounds like a good plan to me!

I learn something new everyday. I looked into this (and should have before repeating the advice). You are correct about the spinach and oxalic acid. The calcium in the spinach is negated by the oxalic acid because it binds to the calcium. But, it only does it within that food. So, how would feeding the drake spinach make the layer feed safer? Unless I am misunderstanding. :confused:

Because it has zero calcium it offsets the calcium in the feed. Sort of like how you can’t have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat. The more meat you eat, the less pudding there is in your diet. Calcium is naturally occurring in so many foods.

Because it has zero calcium it offsets the calcium in the feed. Sort of like how you can’t have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat. The more meat you eat, the less pudding there is in your diet. Calcium is naturally occurring in so many foods.
So, just to fill his stomach so that he doesn't eat as much?

Back
Top Bottom