Thanks so much. I am glad you are on this late. I am headed in for a simple surgery in the early morning. I may need my kids to help this duckling along. Wondering why it is so much later than the rest of my ducklings?

@WVduckchick would love your advice also.

I am going to try and get a few hours of sleep. @CourtCalee I would love to get an update on your egg.

I have no idea why it's so late, might have been a cool spot in the bator?

Gokd luck with your surgery, try to get some rest!

She's still moving in there! I wetted her membrane a couple times over the night. I noticed the vines receded even more also. Should I puncture the membrane and peel back a little around her bill?

She's still moving in there! I wetted her membrane a couple times over the night. I noticed the vines receded even more also. Should I puncture the membrane and peel back a little around her bill?

You will probably have to trust your gut as to when the time is right, but yes, you will likely have to do that. See, when they pip and zip, they are using the egg shell as leverage. Now with nothing for resistance, it likely won't be able to tear the membrane without having the shell behind it. Make sense?
Kinda like a shower curtain... if you punch at it with nothing on the other side, it just flails outward. But if there were something semi-solid there, you'd have more chance of busting thru it.

Ok broke into the membrane and saw this huge vein I was not expecting and tons of gooey yellowish clear mucus. Continue or put back. Now I'm freaking out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 8
I'm putting it back until I hear otherwise. There was a pin size spot that started to bleed so I blotted it with a paper towel and she's back in the incubator. I can't 100% tell what I'm looking at but she doesn't seem like she's in the right position. I'm going to await further instruction. Hopefully I wasn't premature in opening the membrane.

Ok, it looks to me like the top of the head is under the membrane that is still white in the picture, and the bill is pointing toward 2 o'clock position. Is that the tip of the bill next to the blob of pinkish-red?

You did good. Any bleeders, you should stop and wait. Blotting them is fine, and if it quit quickly, that's a good sign.

But it does look like it needs a little more time. Hopefully you moistened the rest of the membrane, after taking the pic. If you didn't, please do so. Exposed like that, it will get stuck to her head.

You can carefully run a q-tip dabbed with a little Vaseline/coconut oil up under the membrane and lightly stretch it. Just avoid those blood vessels, the eyes, and the holes in the bill. Hopefully she will lift her bill out of there for you.

Back
Top Bottom