Is it too late to get ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by collingwood, Oct 17, 2014.

1. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi I only just recently got a drake and I was hoping for ducklings but I would like to know if it is too late?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  2. MsPoultry

MsPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    It's never too late to get baby birds! :p
    You should clarify a little do you mean Weather wise because if that's what you mean then it just depends on how much effort you feel like putting in.
    When it's cold those babies are going to need you to check up on them more often to make sure their warm.

3. collingwood

What I mean is don't ducks only have babies early in spring?

4. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    If they lay they can have babies. So you can get them all year. Will you be incubating them? I have no idea if ducks tend to not go brodie in the winter or not.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I had a scovie set a clutch in Feb, i don't recommend late hatches if your weather is cold and icy, snowy as it makes for difficulties. The babies did okay hatched in March and we are NOT spring like in this country at that time. That said it did require more TLC than babies hatched in later spring, summer and fall.

Now ducks are seasonal layers so most will not be laying much longer.. and also molting has begun which shuts that off too. I have no muscovy laying right now, my buffs and pekin still are.

6. collingwood

Hi I live in Australia so the weather's completely different we're going into summer right now and my ducks only just started laying and I do have a broody duck but she just laid one egg and stopped laying and that was before I got the drake!

7. MsPoultry

MsPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Well you could switch her eggs out for new fertilized ones that way she can still raise her own and you get ducklings!

8. collingwood

I just got a chick (a chicken chick) and put it under the duck I hope that works!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Egg? just be careful because when she hatches the chick if mama duck goes into water so will chick and it will drown.

10. collingwood

Yeah I thought about that but until the chick grows older I'll make sure the duck can't get to deep enough water! And the chick has her own mini version water thing so she'll be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by