Is it too late to raise meat birds before winter?

lprofancik

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 15, 2011
I decided I wanted to jump on the meat bird band wagon a little late in the year. I have an order placed for some red broilers, but they won't ship for 2 more weeks. I was wondering if I should cancel the order and wait until next spring. I didn't want to keep them confined although I do have space if I have to. I guess I was more concerned about processing 20-25 chickens in mid-late December in Indiana. We can have days in the upper 50's, but more likely to be low 40's then. Any advice? Oh and we do have a large barn that I could open a garage door to and maybe do some of the work in there. Not sure.

I'd say go for it. I'm new to chickens myself, but I read in a book somewhere that by week 4 or 5 they can withstand freezing temps.

They for sure will do better now than they would have done over the summer with the heat.

There is plenty of time to raise Cornish Cross and get them in the freezer before freezing weather. The red broilers take longer, though.

To me, 40's or 50's is good processing weather. Not so much worry about working at high speed to get the meat chilled before it starts to spoil, and it's not steaming hot standing over the scalding water.

Now is the perfect time, you timed it just right, go for it. They will do so much better now than if you started 3 mo ago.

butchering is much better in colder weather, if you are worried about them not growing fats enough you might want to try ducks, many of them reach a mature size within just a few weeks(7-10)

Im getting 25 end of this month. I was even thinking about pushing it back another month, but I think end of Sept. will be fine.

Yay! Thank you so much! I feel so much better now and we're excited to try our first batch of meat birds. Now to see if I can find someone that I can watch process chickens before I do if for the first time.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom