1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it too soon to tell if I have roosters?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cydthekid50, May 17, 2015.

1. cydthekid50

cydthekid50 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2015
    I was in heaven when I bought what I thought was 3 female Mille Fleur D'uccle chicks. Now they are 7 weeks old and I wonder if I have two roosters. Can anyone give me some info? I've done a little research, and thought all chicken have combs, but one of mine does not yet have one, but the other two do. Also, when I let them out for exercise, the two chicks with combs will fly up and "play attack" just like I've seen on TV with "cock fights". If I have two roosters, are they going to try to kill each other later on? [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    She has a comb, it's just not yet turning red and developing, and it won't until she is close to laying. I would say yes, you have two roosters and a pullet.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Yes you have two roosters. Now if they fight are not you won't know until they are grown but you want to keep both you should have 6 hens per rooster.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Two cockerels and one pullet. Where did you get them? If from a feed store the employees were mistaken or did not know that most hatcheries do not sex bantams.

5. cydthekid50

cydthekid50 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2015
    thanks for the confirmation. I wanted three hens! These are suppose to be pet house chickens that lay eggs. I can only have three. If I find someone on Craig's list to take the two roosters, how is my one remaining hen going to feel?

6. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

She will be lonely. You should get at least one other hen to keep her company. Be careful though and make sure to quarantine any new birds you take in because you don't want to introduce illness to your birds.

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2

8. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Cydthekid,
    I sent you a private email.
    Best,
    Karen

9. Keaokun

Keaokun Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2013
    Los Angeles
    You need to get another hen that is the same breed or she will die. They don't survive alone. They also will not want to befriend a larger chicken of a different breed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. canaday413

canaday413 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2015

That's interesting! I have never heard this. Is this the case for all breeds or just this one in particular?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by