Is it vegan to hatch chicks?

True! It isnt about just one persons choice, if everyone had that attitude and continued supporting cruelty, then nothing would change. Like with every milestone in history where cruelty is challenged, every individual is needed to create that wave of change. I can't imagine supporting inhumane practices just because "nothing will change immediately".

I can so relate to your spider incident! I accidently stepped on a slug this week, felt awful because the poor thing was fatally injured and still just about alive- so I made the choice to feed him to my ducks, seemed the most humane option! I still feel so guilty though!

Just another reminder that being vegan is not cruelty free, it isnt perfection, its just about doing the absolute best you can do.
Absolutely. All we can do is our best. As for the absurdity of bickering and nitpicking over definitions... Dude. Stop. Please. Your reality, your perceptions, your experience, is not my own. What means one thing to one person, means something else entirely to another.
Please, BE KIND!!! To ourselves, animals, other humans...
Most of all, the idea of the "One Twue Way" in MANY walks of life, was debunked quite some time ago. If your "vegan" is not my "vegan", does it seriously matter? My reality, my feelings, emotions, likes and dislikes, all of that, it's my own. Anyhoo!
Stoic philosophy! It's got all the answers, lol. Well, a lot of them.

“Don’t seek for everything to happen as you wish it would, but rather wish that everything happens as it actually will—then your life will flow well.”
- Epictetus, Enchiridion

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.”

Marcus Aurelius

Most of all, the idea of the "One Twue Way" in MANY walks of life, was debunked quite some time ago. If your "vegan" is not my "vegan", does it seriously matter? My reality, my feelings, emotions, likes and dislikes, all of that, it's my own. Anyhoo!
Well, to be honest, there is only one definition if vegan, there are lifestyles which come extremely close but have their differences, but being vegan has a set meaning.
If I am against animal testing, and I dont eat dairy or eggs, and call myself a vegan, but then occassionall indulge in a hamburger- I would be a hypocrite. I may value some of the same things, but I would still be supporting a form if animal exploitation.

I think for this reason people get mixed up between plant based, vegetarian and vegan. Being plant based or vegetarian isnt the same thing as being vegan. Because veganism isn't only about animal welfare, it's about animal rights too, which means doing everything you can to avoid animal exploitation by avoiding all their products. A person can call themselves vegan while consuming animal products, but that doesn't mean they actually are.

So I guess I respectfully disagree with you on that note

Well, to be honest, there is only one definition if vegan, there are lifestyles which come extremely close but have their differences, but being vegan has a set meaning.
If I am against animal testing, and I dont eat dairy or eggs, and call myself a vegan, but then occassionall indulge in a hamburger- I would be a hypocrite. I may value some of the same things, but I would still be supporting a form if animal exploitation.

I think for this reason people get mixed up between plant based, vegetarian and vegan. Being plant based or vegetarian isnt the same thing as being vegan. Because veganism isn't only about animal welfare, it's about animal rights too, which means doing everything you can to avoid animal exploitation by avoiding all their products. A person can call themselves vegan while consuming animal products, but that doesn't mean they actually are.

So I guess I respectfully disagree with you on that note
True enough! That's why I refer to myself as "veganish" to differentiate. Even honey is not *technically* vegan. I respectfully stand corrected! 🙏

Note: THAT folks, is a beautiful example of expressing one's opinion without being rude. Kudos @BelovedBirds 👍

So if one does hatch and is serious about the good of the breed that they are breeding what about the not so perfects? Since you're not culling should the less than perfect chicks be left to grow? And being detrimental to the breed because of a personal belief? To me that's selfish.

So if one does hatch and is serious about the good of the breed that they are breeding what about the not so perfects? Since you're not culling should the less than perfect chicks be left to grow? And being detrimental to the breed because of a personal belief? To me that's selfish.
Depends what you mean by "less than perfect".
If the chick is able to have a good quality of life, then they should be allowed to live by our vegan standards. If they have a less than desirable trait, it's best to simply not breed from them. If they are too unwell to survive or have any quality of life, euthanizing is most humane.

This is an older thread, but being vegan has nothing to do with hatching chicks.

If your not harming chickens, eating chickens, or eggs, you are vegan. I hatch chicks to, your perfectly fine.

Depends what you mean by "less than perfect".
If the chick is able to have a good quality of life, then they should be allowed to live by our vegan standards. If they have a less than desirable trait, it's best to simply not breed from them. If they are too unwell to survive or have any quality of life, euthanizing is most humane.
I have a slightly different view on it.
Roosters here are very hard to find a home for, most are slaughtered in a not humane way and cruelly killed.
If i breed a rooster that i can’t find a good home for, i would cull it. I find thats the most humane thing to do there, because i would rather know he had a good life and was culled by me rather then tortured somewhere else.
This is my view on things.

I have a slightly different view on it.
Roosters here are very hard to find a home for, most are slaughtered in a not humane way and cruelly killed.
If i breed a rooster that i can’t find a good home for, i would cull it. I find thats the most humane thing to do there, because i would rather know he had a good life and was culled by me rather then tortured somewhere else.
This is my view on things.
I agree, there are some situations where thats the best solution, though personally I would probably choose not to breed in those circumstances, wouldn't want to have to cull anyone

Back
Top Bottom