Is it winter or is it worms?

What do I use to de-worm? and how is it given??

Also, any harm in just doing it once a year as a pre-ventative measure?

Thanks,

Jo

some people use wazine and some use valbazen "a cattle sheep pig and goat wormer/drench" some use both .. I use valbazen personally only once a year unless needed . wazine here stats it only kills adult round worms and valbazen kills a lot more including round worms "but i have seen people say Does not kill round or cecal worms.here is the dosage I use valbazen undiluted, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller chickens...14 days is the withdrawal time.(not suppose to eat the eggs) some do it like this draw up 1 cc Valbazen, then 8 cc of Purified water in a 12 cc. syringe and shake. Give 1 cc to each full size and 1/2 to bantam this web site has some other stuff including wormers I am gonna look through it later http://hpbaa.com/Poultry_Health.html. Hope this helps

It's most likely just the shorter days. My birds also will quit laying a while before they really begin to molt so that could be part of it as well.

It also never hurts to deworm, not seeing worms in their poop doesn't mean they don't have any. You can do fecal samples but if you are going to depend on that you need to do them on a very regular basis and often because if you run the sample and the worms just don't happen to be shedding eggs at the time you will get a false negative. I find it easier and less time consuming to just deworm them all twice a year.

Thanks for your help I just looked at the calendar and it is worming time .I also found out today the 9 month old rocks are laying every other day it seems and the 3 month olds aren't old enough yet so that leaves the Americans and buff which are 1 1/2 to 2 years and i was watching them and maybe they are starting to molt there are alot of Americana feathers out there today lol it was probably just them reacting to it before the visible symptoms started and hey it's a great time to worm because i will have less egg waist from withdraw time
clap.gif

I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but I just capture the hen and squirt solution down her throat?

It does seem like the perfect 'yearly' time to do it if we aren't getting any eggs anyway!

Jo

Nope not dumb at all , I just wormed my flock today "like you said not getting many/any eggs any ways so might as well .I wrap a pillow case or towel around them and put then between my legs and open their beak and squirt 1/2 cc undiluted valbazen to the side of their beaks or cheek i guess you can call it so it runs down the side and not into the wind pipe and i squirt slowish so it doesn't splash either .I am 100% positive the older ones are molting and the younger ones are to young to lay by the way @ every one who responded to my post .Every one here is so great with good info and I haven't ran into a troll yet .I love this place
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom