Is it wise to attempt a 1h45 trip to the vet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've decided to have Caramel go through the surgery. The vet will be doing it today or tomorrow depending on her schedule (her official surgery days are Monday and Tuesday but she didn't want to wait). If Caramel pulls through, we will be taking her home either on Saturday or Monday.
The vet says she is doing slightly better and she can breathe with her mouth closed now.

Salut Manue,

I have been reading all the comments and I am in agreement with the statement you made regarding her being anesthetized and not in any pain during her surgery. You are correct that if she were to die during the surgery she would be in no pain.

The decision is then one of the cost of the surgery for you, and then the post operative quality of life for the hen.

I had a similar decision with colicky horse, what is the cost? (At that time well over $12,000), and quality of life for the horse (elderly horse ). It was excruciating for me to make a decision as I had birthed this creature. (Sorry can’t type this).

Whatever your decision know that it will be the RIGHT one. And that all of us support you.

Kelly ❤️
Salut Kelly ! The cost is "only" 300 euros for the intervention plus the days of hospitalization. It's money we can afford this time, so it's not really an element of decision.
The money question definitely makes me think twice about getting ponies. If you had horses all your life, there is a chance you would face colics at least once 😟.
If you bring her a friend from the flock to be with her during her stay (if that's allowed), would that be helpful for her stress at the vet's?
I don't want to make that ride with a chicken again. A 1h45 drive, a third of which on mountain or small roads, turned out to be even more stressful than I feared.

We've decided to have Caramel go through the surgery. The vet will be doing it today or tomorrow depending on her schedule (her official surgery days are Monday and Tuesday but she didn't want to wait). If Caramel pulls through, we will be taking her home either on Saturday or Monday.
The vet says she is doing slightly better and she can breathe with her mouth closed now.

Salut Kelly ! The cost is "only" 300 euros for the intervention plus the days of hospitalization. It's money we can afford this time, so it's not really an element of decision.
The money question definitely makes me think twice about getting ponies. If you had horses all your life, there is a chance you would face colics at least once 😟.

I don't want to make that ride with a chicken again. A 1h45 drive, a third of which on mountain or small roads, turned out to be even more stressful than I feared.
I'm hoping for the best possible outcome :hugs :fl

Oh I will be hoping good thoughts it sounds like your feathered friend is in awesome hands ❤️❤️

Yes horses - any pets - can be expensive (cat cost me $1300 last summer😡). And harder still when you live far from a regular vet, having driven on twisty windy mountain logging roads I know what you mean, white knuckle drive is what I call it.

Well it’s 06:00hrs here so I guess closer to noon for you I will check in later on.

Thinking of you all and hoping for a good outcome for dear Caramel! ❤️

Hoping for the best for Caramel too.
That saying about 'a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money' is also so true for horses, only the money goes into the pasture/ barn...
Mary
My hens are great and pay for their feed in egg money! I told the horses they needed to up their A game!

Well I sure hope Caramel is fine, haven’t seen an update yet…

It will be early early wee hrs of the morning there now.

My hens are great and pay for their feed in egg money! I told the horses they needed to up their A game!

Well I sure hope Caramel is fine, haven’t seen an update yet…

It will be early early wee hrs of the morning there now.
I didn't get any news yesterday. I called them just now , they said she is looking better and she will be having the surgery before noon. I'll update in a few hours when the vet calls me after.

No happy ending again. Caramel didn't survive the surgery. I'll say a bit more later.
This is the picture of her from my avatar.
IMG_20201228_144444.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom