Is it wise to attempt a 1h45 trip to the vet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Hello BYC keepers. My question is whether I should attempt a visit to the vet for my hen Caramel, which is an 1h45 drive, and Caramel being a very nervous hen, or if it will just make things worse.
I'm so sorry! If you should need your long-distance vet n the future, call first. Since it's a long drive and there's an avian flu going around, you may be able to get a tele-visit. Good Luck!

The vet called me in the beginning of the afternoon and said Caramel hadn't survived the anesthesia, her heart stopped. She still opened her up to see what was inside and found three exploded yolks, she had an advanced peritonitis.
My partner drove to the clinic to collect her remains this afternoon.

Regarding the initial subject question, it turns out traveling with her for such a long time was indeed a huge stress for her. She was in respiratory distress and she wasn't used at all to being confined. This meant we didn't have the choice to take her home straight away after the visit because she wasn't in a state to make the trip back.
The other options were waiting for a few days and get her home with antibiotics only, letting her die at home, or to have her put to sleep at the clinic.

I know now that I will not endeavour to make such a trip again because it is important for me that my chickens may die at home, but that is a very personal decision. Thank you again to all who offered advice and words of confort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom