Is it worth becoming a vet tech or a nurse?

As a retired RN, I would strongly discourage you from becoming a nurse if you don't feel a real pull toward that profession. My experience is that people who are nurses but wish they weren't are incredibly miserable at work. It is NOT a career to pursue if you don't feel drawn strongly to it. There are an awful lot of ex-nurses out there, selling real estate or hamburgers or whatever, who wasted that education because it was not what they wanted, and they hated their work that much.

I do not feel that being shy is reason enough not to do it. Being turned off to the idea of nursing is, though.

Quote:
Don't go into a career that doesn't appeal to you because of money. It will be what you do.

Nursing requires you to forget about yourself for 12 hours as you work. The focus is on the patient.

You will lose your shyness in nursing school.

Maybe you can ask a professional school to allow you to sit in on a class or two to get an idea of what is involved...or go browsing in the bookstore of the school to see what the textbooks look like. See what you are interested in.

I almost went to law school because of someone's suggestion. I didn't REALLY want to be a lawyer. I realize now that I would never have been happy.

Don't ignore that "I don't really want to become..." feeling!

I advise you to research the need in your area for a Vet Tech. Where I live, there are not a lot of vet offices, so it wouldn't be a good field to go into unless you just loved the job more than the money you'd get paid.

Quote:
Wow..thats just insane! They make much better money up here...
Come on up! (and bring your critters too)
big_smile.png

Quote:
I agree with this. I was a licensed vet tech for years and the pay goes nowhere fast. The vet I worked for topped out the pay and just increased vacation days. You do this job to be near animals....period. I loved it but there's not much money in it.

Quote:
Wow..thats just insane! They make much better money up here...
Come on up! (and bring your critters too)
big_smile.png

Thanks Redhen, but MA is way too cold for me.
smile.png

*sigh* too cold for me too!

I became a nurse after years of being a librarian. I'd thought I was going to be a midwife, but shocked myself and everyone who knew me by falling in love with floor nursing. Do you know any nurses who like their work (not the money, the actual work)? There are lots of people who get into it for the wrong reasons, they hate it, their patients and colleagues can tell and they burn out fast. On the other hand, it's a field where you can make a tremendous difference every day, so if that appeals to you it can be fantastic. I work in an inner-city hospital, and I love it. Yes, sometimes the patients or their visitors are ignorant. Sometimes the administration does things that make us crazy. But always, every shift, there's a patient or two who is so interesting, funny, sweet, or otherwise wonderful that I'm just grateful I got a chance to meet them.

I feel lucky to have had the chance to be a nurse. You don't have to be Captain Gregarious, but you do have to be able to meet people where they are and be pleasant. Is there a way for you to volunteer a few hours a week at a hospital? If you ask to be placed on a unit you'll soon get a sense of whether you like it or not. I wish you luck, and definitely follow your gut!

My husband's cousin has a girlfriend that was like me as far as being shy and never had an actual job before. Her boyfriend pushed her into it and she actually loves doing it. My SIL loves her work besides the money and she didn't care to be a nurse either. She enjoys having a lot of days off and even though the people have mental problems she likes chatting with them and the other workers. She did say she wouldn't like some of the other jobs that nurses do but likes hers. My husband has a aunt that just retired from being a nurse and she liked it. I guess it would depend on the type of nursing job you got. There are around 5+ veterinary clinics around in driving distance. I've never went to college before and was wondering if it would be hard to take both courses at once or if even possible? I know when my husband was still in law school some other students were also taking classes to be doctors besides attorneys. If I could take both that would give me both options to choose from.

I'm a hospital recruiter and talk to people about health care careers several times per week.

The demand for nursing, and all health care career fields, is growing. As baby boomers retire, we need competent, skilled, compassionate, hard working individuals to replace and take care of them. Other options could be radiologic technology, medical technology, or respiratory therapy to name just a few. It doesn't have to be just nursing. You don't need to be the life of the party. I know several health care professionals who are quiet but caring, intelligent, compassionate people.

My suggestion to you is the same I tell high school students, college students, and re-careering adults; job shadow the professions you are interested in. Doesn't matter if it's a nurse, a vet tech, or a car mechanic if that's what you are considering. Talk to people you know who work in these jobs. Ask if you can follow them for couple hours to see what the job is really like. There is nothing worse to spend years in school and spend thousands of dollars on a career that you end up hating.

Go take a career exploration class at your local community college. There might be a career field out there you have never thought about or dreamed existed. YOU need to enjoy your chosen career. YOU need to feel passionate about your chosen field. YOU are the one who has to make the choice.

Back
Top Bottom