Is it worth it money-wise?

There are two schools of thought when it comes to calculating the "cost-effectiveness" of chickens as an investment.

The first I'll call the "cost-to-exchange" school of thought, in which the entire investment is compared against other viable options (in this case, buying eggs from the store). This is the frame of mind of a start-up entrepreneur, who expects a business to earn an income. This income may eventually repay its own start-up costs, when the business doubles in value (and very few small businesses do). To buy or build a coop and run, plus the cost of the birds, feed, vet treatments, etc., is quite expensive and unless a person goes into breeding and sells exotic eggs as a side business there's no way the eggs themselves will offset what a person sinks into the investment. It's completely unrealistic to expect a handful of little birds to pay for themselves, their keep, their house, and the yard they're on. Only on a very large scale can a chicken farm expect to pay for its own start-up costs.

The second approach is the "cash flow" school of thought, in which the entire investment is compared to a stock, bond, or similar portfolio investment that generates income (eggs, in the case of the chickens, which can be compared against various kinds of eggs from the grocery store). Different kinds of stocks or bonds throw off dividends or interest, but stocks and bonds are expected to produce a percentage of their value every year. Very few stocks produce enough income to pay back their purchase prices. Fewer still pay back their purchase prices and also cover the cost of the brokerage fees, computer, and Internet access needed to set up and maintain a stock portfolio.

Yet very few people say "Don't get into stocks" or "don't get into bonds".

Compared to the long-term stock market average yield of 8% per year, chickens are a fantastic investment.

- Suppose you spend $500 on a coop, run, birds, and feed for half a dozen chickens in the first year (you do like me: go cheapo on the coop, get everything second-hand, and feed the birds lots of kitchen scraps).
- 4 hens survive the first year
- The hens lay an average of 4 eggs per week apiece
- Suppose they start laying at the 24th week so you only get six months of eggs.

That's 16 eggs or 1 1/3 dozen eggs every week for twenty-six weeks, or 416 eggs (34 2/3 dozen). At a retail price of $2 a dozen you've made $69 in eggs that you would otherwise have to purchase. Sell them, eat them, it doesn't matter because it's still a 13.89% return on investment. FAR better than the stock, bond, or futures markets have been doing!

Just out of curiosity, when it comes to money why do so many of us have higher expectations of our poor little birdies than we do of our stocks, our homes, our savings bonds, our bank accounts, our start-up businesses, and other investments? If a stock or bond is good because it throws off an 8% return on the investment during a bad market, why would a chicken investment be less than good?

I say, down with the cost-to-exchange mentality...

Squeaky

The greatest expense is usually housing- so pick up what you can used or free. However don't make the mistake of using cheap run fencing that becomes expensive because you have to replace it and your birds.

If cost is an over-riding concern, you should consider quail. They start laying sooner and have a more efficient feed/egg ratio.

Quote:
Yes, yes!! No shrinks needed with us chicken-lovin' folks!!
wee.gif
D.gif

One of the problems with keeping just a few more hens than you need to sell eggs on the side is that you have to have a reliable supply to have a reliable income; more often than not this means selling your nice fresh eggs and buying store eggs for yourself
sad.png

I am so hoping my wife doesn't see this discussion. This was the first question she asked when I started looking for chickens to raise. I think I've done a great job changing the topic for several months now. I coach college basketball and this is the best stress relief. Your outside messing with your birds and you don't have to listen to any lip from anybody. I can't imagine not having chickens! Just have fun with 'em.

We have six pullets and I figure that will definitely be more than we can use. We don't have a garden however, so I am setting up a trading group within my homeschool groups so that people can bring their extra produce, eggs, etc. and we can all trade for what we need. I figure the price of organic free-range eggs being what it is (upwards of $5 a dozen here), my chickens will more than pay for themselves after a while. I will not only get eggs, but I will be able to trade my extra eggs for produce I would have to buy otherwise.

Quote:
Are you comparing regular eggs or the more expensive free range eggs with those prices. If they are just regular eggs then you are really comparing apples to oranges. Quality and nutrient value is a legitimate factor to consider here.

If you are considering selling extras you need to see what good farm eggs go for in your area also. Depending on the area they can run $1.50 - $6.00 per dozen.

About those cool animated smileys, google "free smileys" or "free animated smileys". But make sure you have a good spyware killer.

The coop was our biggest expense, and we used mostly recycled materials for that. We went and looked at the coops some of our neighbors had, then built our own. My husband built a coop big enough to hold 30 hens and we may have spent $100. Maybe. Feed is cheap. We have a total of nine chickens-all adult-and we buy two bags of Dumor at Tractor Supply every month. I am guessing feed will cost more in the winter since they will eat more feed in an effort to keep warm, but that cost is still marginal.

I should also tell you that we are a single income family (except for my part time job which pays for nothing but my daughter's tuition at the local Christian school) and we don't have any to spare. For all intents and purposes, we are poor. We have not gone in the hole to keep chickens.

I'm not sure you can even compare the price of homegrown eggs to the 'free range' or 'organic' eggs in the store - considering the terms of freshness.

I did math on what it would cost for me to have maybe 4 or so hens - plymouth rocks and buff orps. Coop would be made from recycled materials, and the run is already there (prev. owner had a huge dog) which means the cost lies in feed, grit, oyster shells, etc. Tractorsupply.com has the price of a 50lb bag of feed at about $16, plus grit, etc figure about $25-$30. I plan to feed all the excess food scraps I can, etc. so the feed should last nearly 2 mos, which translates to about $3 per week.

Now, we currently eat maybe a doz. store bought eggs every 1-2 weeks.
We only buy the brown, locally grown eggs at about $3 per dozen. Store brand is about $2.
If the hens each lay 4 eggs per week, that's about 16 eggs.

So you can see that according to math, I might just about break even. Maybe.

Back
Top Bottom