Is it worth the risk to settle a 13 day old egg?

missychicky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Portland, OR
I have a egg on day 13 with a loose air sack. I have heard that hatching rates go down after day 10 if you settle them. So is it worth the risk to settle this egg? what are the odds of killing the chick instead of making the air sack reatatche?

Last edited:
Hi! Is your egg on Day 13 of incubation or was it laid 13 days ago?

If it's on Day 13 of incubation and developing, I don't know of anything you can do to reattach the loose/wobbly air cell. Normally for me, any eggs with loose/wobbly air cells won't develop at all or start and stop (blood rings).
If the egg was laid 13 days ago and hasn't been incubated, there is no risk trying to incubate it.
You can candle and check for development and just discard it if it doesn't develop. Again for me, eggs with loose/wobbly air cells won't develop or start and stop.

Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa

It's on day 13 of incubation and I'm pretty sure its still developing. Does it have any chance of hatching at all if I don't settle it?

yes, it can hatch. I have hatched a LOT of eggs with loose air cells, from getting shipped eggs. I have lost a ton of them too. You just gotta stay with it until you are guaranteed SURE nothing is hatching, like it stinks, or it is past day 25 or so. I have had better results from setting them in lockdown for the last three days sitting in an egg carton, pointy end down. Good luck, and keep us posted. It is just a week or so left. Keep on keeping on and see what happens!

It's on day 17 and I hear tapping! When I put my hand over it I feel it moving inside too, so exiteing! This is my first hatch so I am just bursting with anticipation, hatch chickie hatch!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom