Is it wrong to feed my 7wk old chicks their feed moistened in the morning

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Hello, in the AM, I give my 7 week old chicks their feed with some water added to make it soft and warm with a few added blueberries or banana. Is this routine wrong? My thinking is because its chilly in the high 50’s from 6am-8am.
thank you for your expertise. 🐥❤️

Attachments

• 98BAAA98-5433-477A-93C2-E6E008A4D3D4.jpeg
    98BAAA98-5433-477A-93C2-E6E008A4D3D4.jpeg
    711.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 450AA4C5-43A2-4AEB-8A98-83D97B2E6406.jpeg
    450AA4C5-43A2-4AEB-8A98-83D97B2E6406.jpeg
    472.8 KB · Views: 12
If you are available to do this all the time, go ahead…. But, you’re just creating spoiled chickens. It’s going to be harder to go away and have someone watch them. Also - they shouldn’t have bananas and berries everyday. Bananas are way too high in sugar (the berries are ok but still need to fed in moderation). Honestly, I think this is a bad plan and not realistic as something you can keep up for the long term - chickens don’t even really need treats if they forage. This is essential growing time; if you want to continue the wet mash that’s fine but the berries and bananas need to stop and be fed independently from their actual food as treats and in serious moderation.

I offer my older girls scrambled egg and a bit of oatmeal in the winter. The snack is more for me than them. Dont forget to offer chick grit for them if you are giving them something other than their feed. They will take what they need but it is important for their digestion to have grit available. Good luck spoiling your chicks!

I give my chicks and chickens their usual food wetted as a mash as their main treat in the afternoon. It's a great way to use up the "fines," the tiny bits that they tend to ignore, that fall to the bottom of their feed bowl. Since it is their main feed, it doesn't dilute the nutrients that they get. It can be made with warm water in the cold months and cold water in the hot months.

As someone said, it's a good way to get them a liquid ______ (whatever) should you need to. I add other things in small amounts, but not everyday.

Back
Top Bottom