Is it wrong...?

WildflowerJLH

Songster
9 Years
Mar 28, 2010
The Mythical State of Jefferson
...that I ENJOY watching my chicks eat worms?

I had my husband bring home some night crawlers on Sunday. The chicks went crazy for them! You know in the old cartoons you would see 2 birds pulling on a single worm, the worm stretching? I saw that in REAL LIFE!

And they way they pick them up and just RUN! This is entertainment at its finest!

So, how often is it OK to feed them worms? They are outside for most of the day. They are eating whatever they find in the compost pile. But none are as fun to watch as the worms.

Quote:
Not at all!! We found a nest of baby field mice! I started the " here chick chick chick" hubby just looks at me crazy and here comes the girls! I told him as I was walking away "Yep they'll eat em but I sure don't have to watch"

Their truly a blast to watch. They could have 2 pounds of spagetti and ten will chase one that has that one particular piece in it's mouth!!

Missi

All of it's good . You have to remember that's what chickens ate before we tamed them ! My 6 yr old niece LOVES to go in the garden with me to weed (45'x65') . Her main goal is to find as many worms to feed to the chickens as she can ! Any non- store boughten items are safe for them . Last year we had a group of mice under the water jeater in the coop....when we lifted it up the chickens killed all of the mice . Feed as much non processed food as you can ...melons , veggies , weeds , grass , yogurt or sour cream is my fav ! You'll find out the more of that they eat.....the more orange your yolks will get .

they really are raptors in a chicken disguise!! last week one of my 3 month olds found a mouse, she grabbed it by the tail and the chase was on.... i have 18 chickens and while i felt sorry for the mouse, it would have been useless to try to catch her- they also enjoy frogs, wasps, basically anything that moves is fair game-

Back
Top Bottom