Is ivermectin paste okay?

jadedcupcake

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 18, 2013
I have a Bantam Rooster he is about 1 year old. He is my pet, not going to be mating or used for meat. He's been yawning, a lot, and I haven't wormed him mostly because he's an indoor chicken. He also has a bloody vent, after reading on here for hours and treating my little buddy for possible picking and it not working. I think he might be suffering from worms. I saw that TC sells ivermectin in a paste form that you can feed to the animals. I was wondering if that is okay or If I should go the injectable route? I'm not comfortable injecting him, so I would give it to him orally at .25cc a day. I had to do that in the past because he came to me a mess with a respiratory infection. Ugh. He's been a mess since I got him with bumble foot, super dry and flakey skin, ear infections, and respiratory infection. I have him just about all healed and hopefully this is my last step. I love my little bird.

Safeguard is fenbendazole not ivermectin. Both work as dewormers but usually different worms.

A while ago, I sold drugs. While things have changed since then, using large animal pastes for small amounts can be problematic. LA pastes are not made to stay "mixed" during storage. The active ingredient settles to the bottom leading to over and underdosing. A solution that can be shaken and remixed is preferred for accuracy. When used in species that have mdr1 (multi drug resistance) problems such as white footed herding breeds in the dog, the differences can be fatal.

Safeguard is fenbendazole not ivermectin. Both work as dewormers but usually different worms.

A while ago, I sold drugs. While things have changed since then, using large animal pastes for small amounts can be problematic. LA pastes are not made to stay "mixed" during storage. The active ingredient settles to the bottom leading to over and underdosing. A solution that can be shaken and remixed is preferred for accuracy. When used in species that have mdr1 (multi drug resistance) problems such as white footed herding breeds in the dog, the differences can be fatal.
Yep, you're right. Fenbendazole is a preferred wormer for chickens since ivermectin is useless as a wormer in chickens. That's from experience, not a book or reference (I can show a reference if needed.) Fenbendazole is more safe than ivermectin when it comes to worming chickens and overdosing. Ivermectin is till good to treat mites in chickens, but that's all.
Personally I prefer liquids over pastes.

I went out and purchased Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer. Which seems to be the most popular wormer among most chicken owners. I got a cc syringe and gave him .25 ccs of it orally. He's doing pretty well today. Thank you for all your help!

The wormer I purchased
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/safe-guardreg;-goat-dewormer-125-ml

My little Leo
That's exactly how much I would give mine and I'd probably do it several days in a row to get capillary worms. He's real cute!

-Kathy

That's exactly how much I would give mine and I'd probably do it several days in a row to get capillary worms. He's real cute!

-Kathy
Thanks! I suspected he had gapeworm, but I will go for a few days because this is his first deworming. Thank you for the advice, and thanks again he's my little buddy! :)

Quote: According to what I have read, Safeguard will treat gapes when given three days in a row at. Be prepared, it might not be gapes, but a respiratory infection instead. I have many chickens, but I've only seen what I think was a gape infestation once.

-Kathy

-Kathy

Thanks! I suspected he had gapeworm, but I will go for a few days because this is his first deworming. Thank you for the advice, and thanks again he's my little buddy! :)
According to what I have read, Safeguard will treat gapes when given three days in a row at. Be prepared, it might not be gapes, but a respiratory infection instead. I have many chickens, but I've only seen what I think was a gape infestation once.

-Kathy

I agree with Kathy. If it WERE gapes, I'd increase dosage to 1/2cc orally and dose FIVE days in a row. Respiratory problems can mimic gapeworm symptoms, but gapes are rare in chickens. Since your rooster already had respiratory problems, he couldve had a relapse since poultry respiratory diseases are never cured. I suspect capillary worms as well and dosing at 1/4cc for 3 days is recommended. Capillary worms can infect the crop and cause sloughing of intestinal lining with blood. Give him probiotics for a few days after worming is completed. Then if he shows symptoms again, consider giving tylan 50 injectable orally, 1/4cc for 5 days. Then give him probiotics again for several more days.
He IS a beautiful looking roo!

Back
Top Bottom