Is Kevin still active here?

MalHagger95

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2018
Louisiana, USA
Does anyone know if Kevin Porter is still active? I have some genetics questions and I’ve seen several older posts that says he’s basically the expert on turkey genetics. Basically what I want to know is if it’s possible to breed a turkey that has bourbon red coloring, royal palm pattern, and a size somewhere close to midget whites and royal palms.

Does anyone know if Kevin Porter is still active? I have some genetics questions and I’ve seen several older posts that says he’s basically the expert on turkey genetics. Basically what I want to know is if it’s possible to breed a turkey that has bourbon red coloring, royal palm pattern, and a size somewhere close to midget whites and royal palms.
I haven't seen Porter post on here in years. He does have a Facebook Turkey Genetics group.

I really don't think you can get the Bourbon Red coloring mixed with a Royal palm pattern. You can selectively breed to the size that you desire.

As nearly as I can tell, the color genes needed to get the Palm pattern mixed with the red color gene would be a Red Sweetgrass and the other option is a Red Palm.

Last edited:
I think he’s gone from byc. He was last seen over 2 years agi

I’ve been speaking to Kevin a bit about turkeys. Not on here but I did send him notice that someone was asking about him. Not sure if he still belongs or not or whatever. But I did pass it along for you.

The closest you can get to that is Red Palms which are more of a "washed out" red because the Narragansett factor tends to lighten, fade or remove reddish brown pigment, but without it the homozygous red tends to overcome or cover up most of the palm pattern. The pattern never seems to be as distinct in markings as on the black pigmented Royal Palm. They tend to be a more pastel like pinkish red.

Attachments

• redpalmhen.jpg
    redpalmhen.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom