Is late March too early to put day-olds outside under a broody hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lceh, Dec 3, 2009.

1. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    We're hoping to either buy hatching eggs or day-olds this spring (late March), and for a variety of reasons I can't have chicks in the house under a brooder lamp this spring. I'm hoping to slip them under a broody silkie and have her do the work. If we get day-olds, is it still too cold in late March for chicks to be outside if they have a momma hen? The average temps in our area in March are mid- to high 50s during the day, high 30s-low 40s at night.
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Anybody know about broodying in March?
  3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I know NOTHING about broodies. I would be very surprised though if you were successful about putting a bunch of little chicks under a hen and her taking care of them. I would think the stars would have to allign just right...broody hen sitting eggs just the right amount of time where she may actually consider day old chicks hers... Now eggs, I could see (assuming you have a broody hen at the end of march)...and by the time they hatched, the season should be moving along nicely... I hope someone with experience w/your situation comes along soon...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by