Is Meyer Hatchery good?

I just bought my first chickens from Meyer in May. Both speckled sussexes I ordered ended up cockerels. One is my lap chicken and the other doesn't like to be handled at all. Both are respectful to me though and don't seem to be giving the ladies too much trouble at this point. They look very different but are both gorgeous. The girls are all very sweet and cuddly except for the barnevelder, who is extremely shy. She also honks like a goose, which is her best quality. I live in Ohio and I'm an hour away from Meyer, so I had the luxury of bringing them home in my lap and arguing with my husband over the car heater instead of shipping. They were all healthy babies and just had a little pasty butt here and there the first couple days. Customer service was really good about refunding me for the first cockerel but the second one was a little harder because it had matured so much more slowly than the other, they did come through for me in the end. The only negative thing I have to say is that when I picked them up, the lady who brought them out to me opened the box and handled them all after just doing the same to someone else's chicks who was also handling them. I took just enough microbiology classes in college to make me paranoid, so that bothered me a bit and made me wonder how many chicks she handled all day from all over the hatchery without sanitizing in between, plus touching money from in-store purchases.

Back
Top Bottom