Is moldy hay REALLY, truly, bad?

I wouldnt use moldy, hay. But using hay in nest boxes is fine. Everyone I know around here (including me) uses hay in thier nest boxes.Never had any problems what so ever.
smile.png

i am concerned about hay "getting" moldy in my chicken pen. right now i have alittle down on the muddy path. and on the floor of the coop, where it will be getting soiled...

is the nest box the only place if any you should use it? i have pine shavings around the water and food, but jeez - then i have it on the path on the damp dirt....

Quote:
That same problem happens to me when it's muddy. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have noticed that a combination of shavings and straw is very effective...

I personally would never use moldy hay. It's very bad for horses and sheep. But I know you can use it for cattle. If there is only a small amount of mold you can soak the hay in water to rinse the mold off as Iearned at the University but that is messy and I still wouldn't do it.

yes, feeding horses moldy hay bad. they eat alot of hay. is it likely that my good hay will GET moldy? and has anyone here ever had their chickens get mycotoxicosis? from moldy hay or good hay that you've put down?

i was thrilled to be using it on the yard I HATE the mud we get...not that its real wet or real deep...but still...

Last edited:
Quote:
Not me!
cool.png

Not me either. I throw all the moldy hay in the compost pile. I don't want my chickens or myself breathing in the mold. And I definatly don't want my horses, sheep, or goats eating it. My chickens love to eat the little leaves and seeds out of the good hay
smile.png

You're not likely to get moldy hay from hay outdoors in the muddy run. Unless you have a big thick pile of it, in which case the center (inside) of the pile can sometimes mold.

Mostly if you have hay outside in a muddy run it just gets *yucky*, which is not really harmful to chickens (or other livestock either) although they may no longer eat much of it
tongue.png

Pat

and *edit* its not the run thats muddy - yet. haha. just the dog path around the house.
hay, thanks a bunch! I feel better already :)

so if its not deep, and not protected and not the right warmth humidity/the right temperature as well as being damp....i most likely won't grow mold.

phew.
:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom