Is Mr Roo being too pushy?

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
here are some pics from yesterday of PJ, my guess is that the roo is paying her a little too much attention?? any ideas? she is a cochin, and he is a BR...

pj-1.jpg

pj2-1.jpg

Darn, was hoping that wouldn't happen- he has 5 hens, then a couple BA that are only 3 months, and a trio of brahmas, which i know one is a roo, one i'm not sure although MR Roo has been flirting with her/him and a definite pullet... so that will give him 9 ladies, he's a good protector, but thats about it- he and i have been trying to decide who is boss...
roll.png

How old is she and what is your hen to roo ratio? Sometimes they have a "favorite" and will overbreed her even if there are lots of other hens, but usually it happens because there are too few hens. I have had a few that started their molt that way though so if she is around 18 months old that could also be a possibility.

Edit: Sorry, I see you already answered the ratio question. I had this all typed out and got a call from dd to pick her up and forgot to hit submit before I left.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Thanks- she has been on the lower end of the flock order, but she grew up with him- they are 9 months - i have considered getting rid of him, as he and i are going at it every few days, trying to tame him- one of the brahmas appears to be a roo, so not sure how that will pan out...

Oh boy, your and she are lucky he hasn't ripped her comb. One of my girls had her comb ripped and bled like crazy, needless to say, my boys found a new home
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom