Is Mr Roo being too pushy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by artsyrobin, Dec 16, 2009.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    here are some pics from yesterday of PJ, my guess is that the roo is paying her a little too much attention?? any ideas? she is a cochin, and he is a BR...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Yep to much male attention, I have a couple girls like that (I need to get rid of some roos). Adding more hens might help and/or a saddle for her.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Darn, was hoping that wouldn't happen- he has 5 hens, then a couple BA that are only 3 months, and a trio of brahmas, which i know one is a roo, one i'm not sure although MR Roo has been flirting with her/him and a definite pullet... so that will give him 9 ladies, he's a good protector, but thats about it- he and i have been trying to decide who is boss...[​IMG]

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    How old is she and what is your hen to roo ratio? Sometimes they have a "favorite" and will overbreed her even if there are lots of other hens, but usually it happens because there are too few hens. I have had a few that started their molt that way though so if she is around 18 months old that could also be a possibility.

Edit: Sorry, I see you already answered the ratio question. I had this all typed out and got a call from dd to pick her up and forgot to hit submit before I left. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Thanks- she has been on the lower end of the flock order, but she grew up with him- they are 9 months - i have considered getting rid of him, as he and i are going at it every few days, trying to tame him- one of the brahmas appears to be a roo, so not sure how that will pan out...

6. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Oh boy, your and she are lucky he hasn't ripped her comb. One of my girls had her comb ripped and bled like crazy, needless to say, my boys found a new home [​IMG]

7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    yep- he did that too to one of the others... sigh...anyone want a roo???

8. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Keep the faith, I'm sure you will find him a good home, not freezer camp!

9. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

For now, I'd look into a saddle to protect the hens' back. They're pretty cheap and very helpful. A few BYCers sell them, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by