Is my 16 week old EE a Rooster or a Pullet?

I love that @TheOddOneOut!!!
I'm not good at sexing but, That's the one I chose was a pullet. I couldn't find sickle feathers on it. Good for you!!!
Her pattern is similar to a silver duckwing(but is definitely still a mixed pattern. But it’s female specific. Meaning the males and females appear totally different. Females are shades of muted fawn and silver, while males are stark black and white.

I'm laughing at "a bunch of sex-crazy, hormonal young roosters is a living hell."
It’s true though 🥲
If you don’t mind a little rant..:
I once had to tell off some chicken keeping neighbors once who had one pullet and four cockerels (all 18 weeks). And the poor, small-bones RIR girl, who was just starting to get ready to lay, couldn’t get away from the huge boys. They chased her and ambushed her and cornered her, all day long. The owners, who were in denial that they had more than 2 cockerels on their hands, said, “oh, it’s just them playing.”
I got so fed up with watching that little pullet get chased around by those sex offenders of cockerels that I just gave them the whole speech where my message was basically what you just quoted. It was funny, the looks on their faces. I’m not sure they took me seriously in the moment, but a few weeks later they gave away their cockerels and got 3 new pullets and was so happy.

So now, whenever I see a lone pullet, whether online if not, I feel a need to give the speech on how those boys need to go.

Last edited:
I understand how annoying it is being told you are getting all pullets then later finding out all or most of them are cockerels... Earlier this year we got 6 silkies, we were told they were all pullets... When we pulled them out of the box (that they gave us the silkies in, that would have only been big enough to fit 3 in comfortably that had 6 in it!!) We found that one had a deformed leg (90 degree angle to the other leg) and are currently thinking that 4 of the 6 are cockerels...

@TorisHomestead -boy.

with regards to the store you got them from, they may have gotten a straight run from the hatchery, instead of sexed pullets-it happens. Ratios aren’t always 50:50. FWIW, the only mis-sexed birds we have gotten are EE from the main hatchery we use. And we have bought many breeds, and many chickens.

Ask the store what they can do. But, sexing has never been 100%. Getting 2-3 mis-sexed birds in such a small order is not expected, at all. Find out the rest of the story -where did they come from, was it straight run, or actually a pullet group. Have they had anyone else experience large numbers of cockerels. Personally, I don’t jump all over businesses online with a rant, but if I did (because sometimes some business interactions are consistently bad), I’d make sure I had tried in-person or telephone or direct email communications first.

You’re definitely gonna need to rehome/otherwise get rid of at least two of those guys, and buy more females.
Life as a single pullet (assuming you don’t have any others) with a bunch of sex-crazy, hormonal young roosters is living hell.
Oh definitely, I plan on keeping one to possibly hatch my own chicks… I’m not looking forward to choosing between the three, none of them are mean and unlikable yet, lol.

Back
Top Bottom