Is my 7 week old easter egger a cock?!

lovinsilkies18

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 3, 2012
So this is Susie Q, she is the head of the pecking order... ugh. she's actually quite evil to say the least. she runs and jumps on the other pullets, she's loud, she never lets anyone else eat out of my hands, she charges at every one of the other girls outside with her hackles up. UGH! I don't know what to do with her strong personality... ANYWAYS, judging by these pictures could anyone tell me whether she is a pullet or a cock? She was sold to me as a girl but judging by her personality I do not know WHAT do believe!

Thank you! Any suggestions on combating this dominance issue? I have 3 polish babies I am going to have to merge with them when they're old enough, I can't have her being a B**** to them like she is to her sisters... I am expecting some general induction pecking and beat ups, but knowing this girl (?) its going to be ROUGH.

Last edited:
Oh, boy, I don't. The only very aggressive chicken I've ever had was a cock and the solution was to send him to freezer camp. The only thing I can think of that might put her in her place would be a pullet/hen who thinks she ought to be higher in the peck order. You know, maybe if you can separate them with poultry netting as a partition so she can see and be with her cohorts without being able to get at them to push her weight around... Maybe then after a while she won't feel the need to be so aggressive with them once you take away the partition?

I have a lone silkie hen that I am adding these three to in about a week, in the meantime, they have been going on day trips out to the eglu cube with her. Susie Q pecks and jumps on the silkie hen as well! I sit there and watch in pure disbelief... the balls this girl has! She is so dominant, it's hard to watch and she is just such a B****! I may have to try totally separating her from all the other birds for about a week and see if that helps mellow her out a little bit...

Happy to report that she is in fact a hen, and is now laying me a beautiful pink egg... was hoping for blue but that did not happen. Her temperament has DEFINITELY mellowed out and is now a happy, friendly part of the flock. She comes running for treats with the others and is well mannered. Thanks for all of your input!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom