Is My Baby Tiel Sick??

Coturnix Quail

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
I've had my baby for about a month now and just today he's closing his eyes and doesn't follow me around like he used to. He's around 2 months old and I feed him twice a day, but I don't think he's eating the actual seed, he just chews it and spits it out, but he does eat millet. He also knows where water is but won't drink unless you're drinking it. Also snot comes out of his nose sometimes and he can't chirp right, its more of a little squeak, but before when we first brought him home he sounded normal. Help please this is my first cockatiel!

Yes, he's sick. If at all possible, get him to a vet. If he's 2 months old, and you've had him for a month, are you still hand (syringe feeding him) ? He's young yet to be completely weaned, he should be fed more often, until he's really eating seed on his own. Does he have grit available? He needs that to digest the seed. Keep him warm, maybe provide a heating pad to sit on, make sure he can get off it if he gets too warm. He may have aspirated food while hand feeding, causing a respiratory infection, if so, he'll need antibiotics, so again go to a vet if at all possible, asap. Good luck, keep us posted.

I've had my baby for about a month now and just today he's closing his eyes and doesn't follow me around like he used to. He's around 2 months old and I feed him twice a day, but I don't think he's eating the actual seed, he just chews it and spits it out, but he does eat millet. He also knows where water is but won't drink unless you're drinking it. Also snot comes out of his nose sometimes and he can't chirp right, its more of a little squeak, but before when we first brought him home he sounded normal. Help please this is my first cockatiel!
Hi,I must weigh in since I have raised many 'tiels. Your baby is indeed sick. Get him in a warm place asap. Upwards of 85' and find a bird vet asap also. If there is a vet school anywhere close, go there.Petstore meds just wont cut it with these guys,and knowing his weight is super important so he can receive the right dosage of antibiotics. Also be super careful if you are tube feeding anybirdy that cant breath right. Praying all goes well for your loved one.

Well, that's pretty decent commitment, starting out with a baby of a species that's probably going to live another 30 years.

Take him to a vet, immediately.

Thanks guys. The store I got her from which is called bird jungle sells unweaned birds and they teach you how to feed them, and they said to give 2 syringes a day, but she seemed to beg for more so I gave her a little extra every now and then. I took her back to them and they're keeping her for a couple of days and hopefully all goes well.. As of right now she weighs 70 grams, but again, they took her back so I can't do much right now.. I'm really trusting them with my birdie because even though its only been a month I'm so attached.. :hit If the bird does have a respiratory infection, will it have special needs? I'm afraid if it does they'll ask me to pick a different bird.. :(

Yes, he's sick. If at all possible, get him to a vet. If he's 2 months old, and you've had him for a month, are you still hand (syringe feeding him) ? He's young yet to be completely weaned, he should be fed more often, until he's really eating seed on his own. Does he have grit available? He needs that to digest the seed. Keep him warm, maybe provide a heating pad to sit on, make sure he can get off it if he gets too warm. He may have aspirated food while hand feeding, causing a respiratory infection, if so, he'll need antibiotics, so again go to a vet if at all possible, asap. Good luck, keep us posted.
Also no grit

Mine don't get grit because it's not something that's available here and they do just fine. Provide some hulled sunflower seeds when they are weaning and peanuts are always yummy for a treat.

Go by your baby's behaviour rather than feeding to a schedule. If baby is grizzling, give him formula. A feeding spoon is actually a lot easier, more natural and safer to use than a syringe. It's messy as heck but baby is in control. You mix up more than enough formula in a small cup which sits in warm water to stay warm enough and feed baby bit by bit, which means the food won't have cooled down too much before your little one has eaten its fill.

Fingers crossed your baby will be OK. There shouldn't be any longterm consequences of having an infection as long as they can cure him. :fl

Mine don't get grit because it's not something that's available here and they do just fine. Provide some hulled sunflower seeds when they are weaning and peanuts are always yummy for a treat.

Go by your baby's behaviour rather than feeding to a schedule. If baby is grizzling, give him formula. A feeding spoon is actually a lot easier, more natural and safer to use than a syringe. It's messy as heck but baby is in control. You mix up more than enough formula in a small cup which sits in warm water to stay warm enough and feed baby bit by bit, which means the food won't have cooled down too much before your little one has eaten its fill.

Fingers crossed your baby will be OK. There shouldn't be any longterm consequences of having an infection as long as they can cure him. :fl
Thanks guys. The store I got her from which is called bird jungle sells unweaned birds and they teach you how to feed them, and they said to give 2 syringes a day, but she seemed to beg for more so I gave her a little extra every now and then. I took her back to them and they're keeping her for a couple of days and hopefully all goes well.. As of right now she weighs 70 grams, but again, they took her back so I can't do much right now.. I'm really trusting them with my birdie because even though its only been a month I'm so attached.. :hit If the bird does have a respiratory infection, will it have special needs? I'm afraid if it does they'll ask me to pick a different bird.. :(
JaeG is absolutely spot on with their iinfo. When your baby recovers she should not need special care. I would add that she should be kept in a warm cage for a few more months to sustain her immune system. They build resistance more slowly than other critters.

Back
Top Bottom