Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Dominique - Rooster

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EarthyMama

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 27, 2012
I posted a bit ago, but the format was totally messed up. I'm new to the whole "backyard chicken" thing, and I need help identifying whether my 6 week old chicks are hens are roosters. (they're supposed to be all pullets) One Rhode Island Red, which i'm pretty sure is a hen. One Dominique, which i'm pretty sure is a hen. And one Silver Laced Wyandotte, which i've been questioning for a while, and have been told is a rooster. Our wyandotte is about 20% bigger than the Rhode Island Red, except it doesnt look like it in the picture, even though they're all the same age.

Please point out the identifying characteristics for me, so hopefully i can figure it out myself for future chicks! thanks!
Here they are... hanging out in the yard until their run is complete...

ANY HELP is very much appreciated. I live in a neighborhood and can't keep a rooster for obvious reasons. So i need to be working on finding any a new home before the crowing begins...

Hi
I voted... you seem to have it right...
dark red on the comb and wattles would be the big give away for me.
I don't know if wyandotte roos carry themselves differently, but other breeds I have had stand a bit straighter.

Don't worry you have a week or so after he starts to try and crow for you to get rid of him.
It will sound more like he has something stuck in his crop that he is trying to dislodge than a crow for a week or so.

Good luck, wish you could keep him, my wyandotte roo is a gentleman.

Back
Top Bottom