Is My Chick Dying??

Ah, got it about the scratch. Nope, the vitamins will be fine with the others. If you are worried, just reduce the recommended dosage a little. I used to use these vitamins in baby bird food that I fed my baby Starlings every 1/2 hour, so you should not worry about overdose.

take your chicks off this food and put them on starter or they will all die, this food needs to be mixed with a very precise mix of grit. also, this food is causing a lot of problems since the pieces are too big for them to be digested. You need to feed this wet if at all. Please don't argue with me about this chicks need medicated food or they will die at some point unless you vaccinate or are extremely lucky. And pasty butt needs to be washed off or you can damage their vents. feed all food wet and you won't have pasty butts. you only need to feed medicated for a few months. some people disagree, but you already have sick chicks due to improper feeding. I'm rarely on byc, so please don't bother to contact me, I don't have time for the nonsense and misinformation on byc, i just saw your post on cpp. you can pm me if needed. if you are still awake, remove this food immediately and add olive oil to their water. you are impacting their gizzards and they will be dead in the morning if you don't stop feeding right now.

Would definitely mix up some electrolytes and trench solution. You can make your own home brew or buy it at the feed stores.
If you think they are sick, medicated food might help.

I never use small wood chips like yours until the chicks are much larger because the love to chew on the tiny shavings and tend to eat too many, always afraid they will eat them and no food! We put newspaper over the chips to keep them from eating them all, then change the newspapers out daily.

Did you hatch the checks or did they come mail order? Are they eating and drinking fine?

Nice Brooder by the way, I have go to make some of these!

Last edited:
STOP THE SCRATCH AND PECK!!!!! STAT!!!

Those chicks need to be on medicated chick crumbles AND Sav-A-Chick in the water.. separate the sick ones ASAP!.
Where are you located in Southern CA???

take your chicks off this food and put them on starter or they will all die, this food needs to be mixed with a very precise mix of grit. also, this food is causing a lot of problems since the pieces are too big for them to be digested. You need to feed this wet if at all. Please don't argue with me about this chicks need medicated food or they will die at some point unless you vaccinate or are extremely lucky. And pasty butt needs to be washed off or you can damage their vents. feed all food wet and you won't have pasty butts. you only need to feed medicated for a few months. some people disagree, but you already have sick chicks due to improper feeding. I'm rarely on byc, so please don't bother to contact me, I don't have time for the nonsense and misinformation on byc, i just saw your post on cpp. you can pm me if needed. if you are still awake, remove this food immediately and add olive oil to their water. you are impacting their gizzards and they will be dead in the morning if you don't stop feeding right now.

X's 2 gaxzillion on this post!st!

Great news SO FAR! This morning little chick is walking fine, eating AND drinking!!! I think maybe it was uncomfortable because of pasty butt, then uncomfortable from being wet then blow dryed! Yeah so happy. And chick 2 the coughing/sneezing one is no longer doing it? Weird! Maybe it was dust from all the new pine shavings I added in. Thank you everyone for your advise!

PS Walmart did not have the vitamins so I was unable to get them last night. I didnt do anything and both chicks seem to be ok now. I hope they really are. Froggie I am in Murrieta. Albanydog I got the chicks from 6 different local breeders. I drove all over to pick them up because I wanted very specific breeds. About half the breeders I got them from had them on medicated feed, but none vaccinated.

Back
Top Bottom