Is my chick ugly? Cream Legbar x Silver Spangled Hamburg

Aw, I missed him in Photo #1! Hey, I'm in SE MO, too, we're neighbors! Wasn't that snow something? We were in Cape early today at 55°F at 3 pm, when we got home at 5 it was 32! Brr! The dogs came in all wet like they'd been making snow angels! But.. I digress, sorry.
Yes, the snow was crazy. Chickens and dogs are sloppy messes lol

I wanna see what they look like when they get older! A unique cross.
Well, the little weirdo turned out to be the first rooster I sold, out of 20+. Here is what he looks like at 7 weeks (the one standing). Pretty handsome! Going to a new flock next week...
blue_egger_7wks_3.JPG

Here's how the little girl looks at 7 weeks
blue_egger_pullet_7weeks.JPG

Here's my only other little boy of the same cross, hatched a week later. He was cute from the start :love

I think I might keep him and see what happens in F2.
Blue_egger_7weeks_1.JPG

For the past year, I've been experimenting with sex-linked and auto-sexing hybrids that lay colorful, predictable eggshell colors. Most have turned out really cool. This particular blue-egger hybrid wasn't on my list initially, but I had a lot of demand for blue eggs from people who wanted to buy my chicks. I currently only have 2 Cream Legbar laying hens. Breeding my Hamburg hens with Cream Legbar rooster doubled my capacity to produce blue-egger chicks. Here's what they look like...
(I'm presuming female on the left, male on the right but please let me know if you think I got the sex wrong)
View attachment 2604618View attachment 2604620

The females aren't bad looking, although not the prettiest in the flock. I hatched 5 of them, with just this one male.

But I'm afraid the male chick is ...ugly. Maybe he will get prettier as he gets his feathers? What do you think? Am I being too critical of this sweet little one-day-old chick?
View attachment 2604637

For comparison, here's what I get when I cross the same hen with my Golden Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben...
View attachment 2604640View attachment 2604641

What do you think?
They're cute and you get blue eggs!

Back
Top Bottom