Is my chicken being broody?

MonicasGarden

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 28, 2011
Hemet, California
I'm a little concerned about one of my chickens. She's a 6 month old Rhode Island Red and she's been laying on a few eggs for three days straight now. Everytime anyone comes close to her she puffs up and "growls". Is this normal broody behavior? There is little chance that the eggs are fertalized since our rooster is young and terrified of her. Should I try to make her leave the nest or just let her go through the cycle? Please help.

When they are that young I try to break them of their broodiness. Put her in a wire bottomed cage with food and water for 3 or 4 days and that usually will break them.

OR if you can't do that... let her sit on some golf balls and buys some chicks to slip under her at night after about two weeks.

(the chicken math method)

She may not be broody I have had pullets and hens that do that. They lay their eggs and if I try to take the eggs out of the next box they are in, they puff up and growl at me but once they lay their egg, they are out of the nest box. Most times I just push them out of the nest box and get the eggs that are in it. They usually go right back in if they haven't layed their egg yet and lay it then get out.

Back
Top Bottom