Is my chicken better or ok?

Jmasonn

Hatching
May 23, 2020
Yesterday one of my laying chickens suddenly developed a swollen eye and progressively the ither swelled up too there was white under her eyelids and she could no longer see. There was also a clear fluid coming out of them. All she wanted to do was lay down and not move eat or drink. I did lots of research to figure out what wa wrong however today both eyes are open and the right eye is still a bit swollen. She also woke up flying out of the bin that i isolted her in from the others and is walking around eating and drinking and acting like herself. Is she okay or is this the start of somwthing far more dangerous??The first photo is what she looked like yesterday and the second photo is from this morning.
F5A2C333-7A2A-4A93-B37F-2ADA61718232.png
DEBA90B4-D8DA-41FA-A5C0-8FC01BFBC40A.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you think that she could have been pecked or stung in the face? Many times swollen eyelids and eye drainage are a sign of a respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma (MG,) or coryza. If you can look for an area with a possible sting, that would be helpful. Is she having any sneeze, cough, or rattly breathing, gasping?

She was having rattly breathing every few minutes or so but she seems fine now. Her face is still a bit swollen tho
Do you think that she could have been pecked or stung in the face? Many times swollen eyelids and eye drainage are a sign of a respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma (MG,) or coryza. If you can look for an area with a possible sting, that would be helpful. Is she having any sneeze, cough, or rattly breathing, gasping?
It is possible because i do let them free rage my yard during the day but i dont see any signs of a sting. She did have some rattly breathing every so often yesterday and in full panic mode i researched a lot on MG and coryza. I was convinced that she had one or the other but she seems normal now except for the fact that the right side if her face is still a bit swollen. Thx for the quick response

If you think that she is getting sick with a respiratory disease, then I would order some Tylosin here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Only treat a sick birds. Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water (or 1/4 tsp per quart) for 3-5 days. Mix only by adding water to powder, and change every 3 days. Your vet might have something similar.

If you think it is a sting, the swelling may go down on it’s own.

If you think that she is getting sick with a respiratory disease, then I would order some Tylosin here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Only treat a sick birds. Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water (or 1/4 tsp per quart) for 3-5 days. Mix only by adding water to powder, and change every 3 days. Your vet might have something similar.

If you think it is a sting, the swelling may go down on it’s own.
Thank you so much. I will definitely monitor her and If it could be a sting but if symptoms get worse again i think that i will go ahead with the Tylosin.

Back
Top Bottom