Is my chicken sick?

I found her like this, yes i'm pretty sure she is egg-bound and she couldn't get onto the top nest boxes so she slept in one and i found her neck in this position, she can walk but is wobbly i gave her epsom salt bath last night and massaged her she is 6 months old and hasn't laid any eggs yet i'm not home right now and i'm hoping she isn't dead by time i get home i have a picture of what she looks like right now she also hasn't eaten yet but i did put water up to her and made her drink.
1868373-d065b987a4e079c1ab73d64f76a09784.jpg

Last edited:
I've posted multiple threads but no help, it's been a day and she is getting worse yesterday i found her acting strange read up on it sounded like egg bound, she hasn't started laying yet and people suggested she was having problems with her first egg, this morning her neck looked very crooked but could walk (was pretty wobbly) and she didn't bother to eat, even though i offered her some cracked corn, she did drink though when i put her up to her mouth and I honestly don't know what i'm doing wrong, i offered her oyster shell and she pecked at it, her crop is fine i felt no egg but this morning when i placed her in the nesting box and started to cluck in a bit a pain about 20 minutes after, she slept in the nest box instead of at the top with her fellow chickens (she had only 2 chicks sleep with her) so i assumed she had twisted her neck or something? i feed them chick feed and cracked corn.
1868373-d065b987a4e079c1ab73d64f76a09784.jpg
1868374-2a331a3206d4cc9a58986832b977aef1.jpg

i'm about to go check on her, her poop is normal and her crop is hard-ish.. feels normal.
She's in horrible state! I found her like this and I have to leave soon!!!
She can walk but iswabbly
She won't eat but I forced her to drink
Her crop is hard? Was this first thing this morning before she had anything to eat/drink?
She may have an impacted crop. Does her breath smell bad too?

The poor dear is not doing well, I'm sorry :hugs
I would try to get a some fluids into her, careful she doesn't aspirate. The imbalance and the way she is laying, it's hard to know what's going on with her.
How long have you had her? I would be inclined to get some Poultry Nutri-Drench and coconut oil into her.

Her crop is hard? Was this first thing this morning before she had anything to eat/drink?
She may have an impacted crop. Does her breath smell bad too?

The poor dear is not doing well, I'm sorry :hugs
I would try to get a some fluids into her, careful she doesn't aspirate. The imbalance and the way she is laying, it's hard to know what's going on with her.
How long have you had her? I would be inclined to get some Poultry Nutri-Drench and coconut oil into her.
i've had her for 2 weeks now, sadly i'm not home so i'm having my dad watch her. Her crop was kind of hard? i don't know what normal feels like but nothing seemed out of the ordinary and her breathe did not stink

i've had her for 2 weeks now, sadly i'm not home so i'm having my dad watch her. Her crop was kind of hard? i don't know what normal feels like but nothing seemed out of the ordinary and her breathe did not stink
If you've had her for 2weeks, I would start treating with Corid.
The crop sounds like it's not emptying either, I would not try to get her to eat right now, no need to add food to the crop if it's not emptying. Trying to keep her hydrated would be important. I would also give a teaspoon of coconut oil and gently massage the crop to see if you can start to break that up.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If you have vet care and can take some poop samples in for testing, that would be a good idea.
It's hard to diagnose chickens online there are so many things that can go wrong. Since she's new to your property, Coccidiosis comes to mind, but she may be suffering from another illness. Corid can be found at Tractor Supply in the cattle section.

If you've had her for 2weeks, I would start treating with Corid.
The crop sounds like it's not emptying either, I would not try to get her to eat right now, no need to add food to the crop if it's not emptying. Trying to keep her hydrated would be important. I would also give a teaspoon of coconut oil and gently massage the crop to see if you can start to break that up.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If you have vet care and can take some poop samples in for testing, that would be a good idea.
It's hard to diagnose chickens online there are so many things that can go wrong. Since she's new to your property, Coccidiosis comes to mind, but she may be suffering from another illness. Corid can be found at Tractor Supply in the cattle section.
Thanks but what about her neck? any idea why it is like that and will she get better? I do not have coconut oil at home.. atleast i don't think so where would i find it?

Back
Top Bottom