Is my chicken soft boiling eggs? 😝

Heartsopenwide

Songster
Jan 23, 2021
Had this ever happened to you?:

I started with 17 BCM hatching eggs I bought for my broody Cuckoo Marans. One disappeared. One she tossed, which cracked and had an embryo in it 😟. I tossed 3 last week that were not fertilized. I tossed two more tonight that were not fertilized. One of the two I tossed had a partially solid yolk, like a soft boiled egg!!🤯 Rest of it was runny...what?!

Had this ever happened to you?:

I started with 17 BCM hatching eggs I bought for my broody Cuckoo Marans. One disappeared. One she tossed, which cracked and had an embryo in it 😟. I tossed 3 last week that were not fertilized. I tossed two more tonight that were not fertilized. One of the two I tossed had a partially solid yolk, like a soft boiled egg!!🤯 Rest of it was runny...what?!
I don't suppose you got a picture of it did you? I've never seen anything quite like that :confused:

As soon as incubation has begun it's impossible to tell if an egg was fertilized as the bullseye disappears. So, eggs with no growth are just called "undeveloped".

I'm trying to imagine if a young broody might not have the sense to lift her body to cool the eggs when climate temperatures are high. I often see broodies here in Florida hovering over the eggs more than sitting on them, especially in the last week.
But I don't know what temps could be reached under there, and what it takes to solidify the yolk if that was indeed the cause?

I'm trying to imagine if a young broody might not have the sense to lift her body to cool the eggs when climate temperatures are high.
I think that can happen.
I had one young broody on her first clutch, and not a single egg hatched, whereas more experienced broodys didn't have that problems at all. I have hatched many times with first time mums, and never had the problem either. The only difference was that it was some of the hottest days of the year.
So my conclusion was that she didn't let them cool down.

As soon as incubation has begun it's impossible to tell if an egg was fertilized as the bullseye disappears. So, eggs with no growth are just called "undeveloped".

I'm trying to imagine if a young broody might not have the sense to lift her body to cool the eggs when climate temperatures are high. I often see broodies here in Florida hovering over the eggs more than sitting on them, especially in the last week.
But I don't know what temps could be reached under there, and what it takes to solidify the yolk if that was indeed the cause?
I has only been in the low 80s during the day. High 40s low 50s at night. I gave her a heat lamp at night because she is mostly outside and by herself. She is in my covered tractor run I use for meat birds:

Back
Top Bottom