Is my chicken waterer going to catch fire?

cmlew99

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
Massachusetts
Hello! So I have one of those expensive metal water heater bases to keep my water from freezing. Right now, it is sitting on a pile of pine shavings in my chicken's coop. My question- is there any chance it could cause a fire? I'm really nervous. Thank you in advance for your responses!

If it's making you nervous I would get a large paver and set it up on it. The chickens can hop up, get a drink and you can get some sleep. It will also help keep the water clean. I'm more worried about the cord than anything else.

Last edited:
The waterer might not catch fire but it might cause a fire!!

It should definitely not be sitting on shavings...I mean that's just common sense, plus how would you keep it level on a pile of shavings??<scratching head hard>

Putting it up on a level concrete block so the rim of waterer is top of chest high on a chicken.
They can reach it fine to drink,
less likely to get bedding kicked into it,
and it's on a fire proof surface.

True that coop fires from powered appliances often are caused not by the appliance itself,
but by the unsafely rigged up extension cords not appropriate to power a high draw appliance.

My really inexpensive homemade modified cookie tin heater using a 38 watt bulb sits surrounded by shavings.

It however does not even get hot to touch.
Personally tested to -9F, and worked as designed.

Just how hot does your expensive heater get???

I have a home made cookie tin heater as well and having it siting on two bricks set side by side so it does not touch shavings. It does not get that ho with a 25W bulb in it, but it's just there to take the chill off. We did slide a PVC pipe over the cord to keep the girls from pecking at it and drilled a hole to fit in the coop for the exit which I duct taped on the outside the plug the hole. I don't know how much warmth they get from it, but I do noticed all the morning poop is on that side! I only tun it on if it's getting below freezing temps.

Well now I feel like an absolute idiot :/... I'll look for a concrete/paver surface tomorrow. I just never thought it would get hot enough to start a fire. I just went out and unplugged it. I'm glad that you guys told me, thanks!

Well now I feel like an absolute idiot
hmm.png
... I'll look for a concrete/paver surface tomorrow. I just never thought it would get hot enough to start a fire. I just went out and unplugged it. I'm glad that you guys told me, thanks!
Well if you read all the posts...some folks' don't get that hot, but it could so you have have to check yours to see how it feels.
I'm a firephobe, having had an apartment fire before, so am extremely cautious when it comes to things that could start fires.
Better safe than sorry I say.

Last edited:
As a point for reference, the surface of a 60 watt incandescent bulb will reach about 250F at 70F ambient.

The filament will be dangerously hot, but will burn out instantly once exposed to oxygen.

The fixture (cookie tin) will be much, much, cooler.

Cellulose (wood, paper, etc.) requires 451F to smoke, way more to ignite.

As usual, use common sense and safe measures when operating any electrical device.

Remind me again, why do so many people seem to prefer the lightbulb over the significantly more efficient, less dangerous, aquarium/watering trough/water heater element based designs?

You can buy a good trough heater for $25, and it's going to use less electricity, and it's not going to start a fire.

Back
Top Bottom