Is my Cochin Americana a rooster??

hadouglas

In the Brooder
May 11, 2016
Detroit, Michigan

This is Castro, we named her that is a 4 week old chick because she was quite controlling of the others, LOL! We were assured that her and the three others we got with her were all hens, but I'm starting to wonder if they were wrong. She's about 8 or 9 weeks in these pics and she is supposed to be in Americana Cochin mix.
What do you think??

If it is indeed a rooster I hope he's a quiet one, we aren't allowed to have them here, some of my neighbors do, but it really depends who's next door... Would hate to have to get rid of him, he's one of my favs :(

He's developing the cutest fluffy beard & cheeks right now too!

If he is 4 weeks no doubt. A Cockerel.
My 5 week old already trying to cock a doodle doo, every morning when the sun comes up. He is a porcelain, yet I am still in shell shock of his combe and croaking as I call it.

That was 2 weeks ago.
Termed the name Red Rider..

We knew one of them was crowing a few days ago but never actually caught anyone doing it...
Finally confirmed it was our Castro this morning, so cute how he flaps his wings before he crows!
Thus far he's only done it here and there around mid morning like 9 or 10. If he keeps up like this we'll probably be able to keep him with no problem..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom