Is my coop big enough?

JFoos

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2016
Oklahoma
I have 6 chicks. 3 Barred Rock, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Red Sexlink and 1 Buff Orpington. The coop/run I built has a coop that's 4x6 and a run that's 9x11 and I plan on letting them range my back yard that's pretty good size. Is that enough room for a happy healthy flock? Also, I have a 5 foot chain link fence around my yard will they fly over?

Welcome! You have enough room, barely. With a covered safe run, the coop doors could be left open at night, relieving some stress. If the run isn't predator proof, they will be locked in every night, and maybe days at times. Most likely your birds won't fly over the chainlink. Usually. Mary

I'm not sure how predator proof my run is its built pretty darn good though. I've seen one possum at my place but that's about it. If I took the ladder to the coop down at night just in case one got in there would the still go in and out if needed? I'm a rookie so all advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

It seems all is fine, but the one thing you may not have accounted for is chicken maths - its gets us all in the end and your coop would not really accommodate more than 6 birds. Who knows, maybe you have amazing powers of immunity to chicken maths!
smile.png

Recommended space requirements per bird is 4sq ft for the coop and 10q ft for the run.
I would recommend closing the coop door on a night time and no, they
will not move from the roost once darkness falls, until daybreak. An automatic coop door may be something to consider if you are not a dawn riser.

All the best
CT

Last edited:
I'm still doing some research of my own on coop size but as far as them flying over your chainlink fence, I've never had my chickens try to fly over my fence in the 2 years I've had them, except one time. I attempted to move them to a different plot of land on my mini farm and they hopped the fence to get back in the yard. So I know that they definitely CAN fly over the fence but chances are that they wont. Ultimately I think if they are happy and feel safe in your yard they won't try to go anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom