Is my coop too small?

BBQJOE

Songster
Sep 25, 2015
Void where prohibited.
IMG_4277.JPG

When I first moved the chicks to the coop, I gave them this little dog house for their coop.
They play all day inside the big coop, so I assumed they were sleeping there as well.
I've never had reason to check in on them at night, but decided to tonight for no reason.

When I didn't see any of them in the big house I walked around, and found all 17 of them packed into the dog house. Unfortunately, they started coming out as soon as they saw me. It was pretty funny though. They were packed in like sardines. 4 or 5 deep, and 4 or 5 tall.
Of course I moved them all into the big house.

Your little coop is fine for that number, unfortunately you have oversize chickens that probably would fit in a warehouse.

Sorry Ralph birds always seem to get the best of you. :he

Those look like teenagers that Joe probably raised himself in a brooder. They probably imprinted on Joe since he took care of them. Is it any wonder they act a little "different"? :oops:

When still that young, my eight packed themselves into one nesting box a night! As soon as one or two decided to give the roosts a try, the rest followed suit.

Let us all know how the motorcycle lessons go!

Back
Top Bottom