Is my coop ventilated?

Yes also too much ventilation installed in front of the roost is also a bad idea and have similar results. Also if the ventilation is installed incorrectly wind driven rain and wind can have a worse affect to the coop and chickens.

That's the worst of these tiny, prefab coops. Fixing one problem can cause another because they're so poorly designed. :(

Yes also too much ventilation installed in front of the roost is also a bad idea and have similar results. Also if the ventilation is installed incorrectly wind driven rain and wind can have a worse affect to the coop and chickens.
You still need lots of ventilation for healthy birds. Period. The coop is a terrible design making it difficult to get the ventilation in without permitting water intrusion.
Ventilation across the roosts during hot weather is a very good thing to have.
I have yet to see a coop that has too much ventilation. Most have inadequate ventilation.

As you can see the air gaps bad in the picture. I keep the coop covered underneath an awning. It's not as good as building your own or spending alot of money on a decent one.

You still need lots of ventilation for healthy birds. Period. The coop is a terrible design making it difficult to get the ventilation in without permitting water intrusion.
Ventilation across the roosts during hot weather is a very good thing to have.
I have yet to see a coop that has too much ventilation. Most have inadequate ventilation.
Ventilation on roost during the winter is bad also... having 2 square feet for two chickens on that size coop is massive for that size of coop. Pretty much have to have one whole wall of just hardwire mesh.

Ventilation on roost during the winter is bad also... having 2 square feet for two chickens on that size coop is massive for that size of coop. Pretty much have to have one whole wall of just hardwire mesh.

The OP is in Georgia.

We don't have winter here in the Steamy Southeast. :D

If the OP is in the mountains it might be a *little* colder there than I am, but this past winter I didn't have a single day that wasn't above freezing for at least part of the afternoon or a single night that dropped below about 18F.

The OP is in Georgia.

We don't have winter here in the Steamy Southeast. :D

If the OP is in the mountains it might be a *little* colder there than I am, but this past winter I didn't have a single day that wasn't above freezing for at least part of the afternoon or a single night that dropped below about 18F.
If the the location is in Georgia I would probably get a different style coop all together. Also another we all forgot to hit on this it depends also on the breed as much as location for ventilation. I live in washington usually gets mild winters but this year we had a massive snow this year.

Attachments

• 20210212_175217.jpg
    20210212_175217.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Even with winter rain and snow I keep the windows open on either side of my roost bars, and the birds are fine still sitting right by the windows instead of moving elsewhere. The only time I had to close it last year was for about 3 days when we had high winds blowing sideways + snow/sleet, and snow was starting to get into the windows, but that particular weather pattern has only happened once since I've had the coop.

Is this coop ventilated enough? If not, how can I ventilate it? I have 2 chickens, no more, no less, and they are very happy and love each other so much. I want them to have the best I can give them. Here is the coop:

View attachment 2716334

Maybe if I always leave all of the doors open and put this around it?

View attachment 2716338
I like the walk in chain link with shade...seems fine for two birds. And easy to clean. but anything could dig under that...even chickens are good diggers. I put hardware cloth in the ground around the edges of my run. I'd def add air vents. I used some steel floor vents that could open and close in my Massachusetts coop.

Back
Top Bottom