Is my Diana really a Dai (Welsh for David) - Black Orpingtons-

He's indeed a he! Yours are bred more of a European standard and I have Black English Orpingtons myself. My three have been quite lazy also! They're putting on weight well and eating/drinking fine, they just like their breaks. I think it's a combination of the dense feathers and hefty build that makes them on the lazy side when compared to the typical Orpington here in the US. I personally wouldn't worry because she sounds like mine! 😊 They're beautiful by the way!

Thanks.
I live in rural Wales so keeping cockerels isn't a problem, pretty much all my neighbours have at least one.
I have no intention of breeding them but will do research if one of the girls gets broody and I change my mind.

Thanks for the help. I'm absolutely loving them, wish I'd got them sooner!!

Just an update for those that helped. Diana is well and truly a Dai, but what a beautiful boy he is. He's so sweet, the hens have him demented, bless him. The smallest new ex commercial girl, Patty, rules the roost to the point where Dai has even given up crowing at the moment. Hopefully when he matures a bit he will start again, miss his wake up call.
He is bloody massive though, absolutely love him. Very proud chicken mum!

Attachments

• IMG-20200831-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20200831-WA0009.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20200831-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20200831-WA0008.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 7
Hi
I have recently been given 3 black orpington chickens from a neighbour. She assured me they were all female and they were roughly 12 weeks when we got them, they are now 16 weeks.

However, Diana looks very different to her sisters and although she isn't attempting to crow, and isn't even top hen, I'm a bit worried that she could be a boy.

I'm looking to rehome some ex commercial hens next month and they recommend not to rehome them with a cockerel.

Also the other chicken pictured, Florence, is really lazy. I've read these are a lazy breed but she does seem to sleep a lot more that the others. She eats and drinks OK and will run away from me if she thinks I will pick her up. The others aren't bullying her so could she just be a lazy chicken.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a first time chicken owner
I have three Black:Lavender Orpingtons Hens. They are 16 weeks and the lavender just added an even lovelier greenish hue. Mine are gorgeous birds if I do say so myself and they are no small fries either. I will attach for your reference and viewing pleasure! Lol ! JK! These are not the best posed pics by any means I will try to get better ones later.

Attachments

• 14746FB7-1033-4CCF-B263-F4980B0D8E6F.jpeg
    14746FB7-1033-4CCF-B263-F4980B0D8E6F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 85AA7CCB-60F0-4CDE-B953-131D629894C0.jpeg
    85AA7CCB-60F0-4CDE-B953-131D629894C0.jpeg
    511.5 KB · Views: 4
  • FE4731FB-380F-451F-AA39-9353BD93EE9C.jpeg
    FE4731FB-380F-451F-AA39-9353BD93EE9C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • E3F86F1A-1789-422B-8421-02A15E109898.jpeg
    E3F86F1A-1789-422B-8421-02A15E109898.jpeg
    613.8 KB · Views: 4
Just an update for those that helped. Diana is well and truly a Dai, but what a beautiful boy he is. He's so sweet, the hens have him demented, bless him. The smallest new ex commercial girl, Patty, rules the roost to the point where Dai has even given up crowing at the moment. Hopefully when he matures a bit he will start again, miss his wake up call.
Beautiful rooster! :)

I have three Black:Lavender Orpingtons Hens. They are 16 weeks and the lavender just added an even lovelier greenish hue. Mine are gorgeous birds if I do say so myself and they are no small fries either. I will attach for your reference and viewing pleasure! Lol ! JK! These are not the best posed pics by any means I will try to get better ones later.

I'm besotted with the breed, in the future I might get him some girlfriends in a different colour so I can hatch some.

He is beautiful. This may not be the right terminology but his feather have a different texture than my girls have. Most likely because he is a rooster I’m sure. The way they are “cut” on the bird which is not the right word for it but I’m at a loss right now. But his feathers look shorter on top and sides and maybe more of them in places but shorter? I will go down to my coop later this afternoon and try to get some closeups of my Orpingtons and take some pictures of them to show you what mine look like in order to expain the differences. Sorry I am at a loss for the correct words right now. Having an off day. Medicine hinders my vocabulary at times.

Back
Top Bottom