Is my duck messing with my head?

Do they ever sleep? I have never seen my last batch asleep. Not even once. When they were little they would wake me up pounding around the brooder at 3am.
Mine take naps after swimming outside in their pool and after their bath time at night (aka their swim in the "indoor heated pool"). They like to cat nap while listening to Bob Ross.
IMG_20191229_153342.jpg

Do they ever sleep? I have never seen my last batch asleep. Not even once. When they were little they would wake me up pounding around the brooder at 3am.
How DO they make so much noise?! I often walk over there thinking some catastrophe has occurred and all is fine. You'd think they had hard hats and little construction vehicles over there.

I have a couple of girls that are going back into their house everyday and make some big beautiful nests. Sometimes I find a random egg in there but they usually lay and bury their eggs in the shavings before I let them out each morning. I hope you get some eggs soon!
Since I clean out their space every night, I'm trying to build a spot where she can have a constant nesting spot. I feel bad when I destroy her hard building work every time.

Maybe you can make her an enclosed nesting box since she’s so small. You could have it enclosed on 3 sides and a roof she might like that for laying as long as she doesn’t sleep in it then you’d have to keep cleaning the poop bedding out. My ducks won’t use a box they like to just use the shavings in their coop.

They love their shavings. I might be able to clean them out there carefully.
Maybe you can make her an enclosed nesting box since she’s so small. You could have it enclosed on 3 sides and a roof she might like that for laying as long as she doesn’t sleep in it then you’d have to keep cleaning the poop bedding out. My ducks won’t use a box they like to just use the shavings in their coop.
I hope she'll hold any possible eggs in until I figure this out. :p

Last edited:
I'm not ready to be a duckgrandmom! :oops: Since there's just these two, I'd need an incubator and more space, plus I'd have to figure out a plan for the eggs. Oh nooooo! Too soooon! :barnie

Why not just eat the eggs? :idunno

I have a Peking & a Blue Swede that lay faithfully in a nesting box. I have a Cayuga who hides her eggs & hides them good (naughty girl.) Just like kids, each one is different.

I’d eat them unless she’s wanting ducklings. But giving the little duck a quiet place to lay her eggs is nice too. She’ll have an option.
Of course, today she ignored the practice nest entirely and has been acting like she's not quite feeling herself. I get it, the wet, icky weather is making me feel blah, too. The ducks love to make me worry unnecessary, they really do.
I think they were just conspiring on how to get extra snuggles!
Anyway, a little more space never hurts. I tried 2 34x34s instead of 2 24x24s, but they didn't like it. They like their tiny home apparently.

Last edited:
Why not just eat the eggs? :idunno

I have a Peking & a Blue Swede that lay faithfully in a nesting box. I have a Cayuga who hides her eggs & hides them good (naughty girl.) Just like kids, each one is different.

I don't really eat a lot of eggs (mild food intolerance of some kind) but I guess I could cook with them. As long as Hemmie won't be offended. :lau

Back
Top Bottom