Is my duck messing with my head?

Pics

Saigey

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
Alabama, USA
Okay, so my girlie Australian Spotted Hemmie randomly will make herself a nest in her cage every few days. She and the boy Downey are both 5 months and quite...er... active. She's not about to lay eggs in January, is she? Do I need to make her a little nesting box annex or invest in an incubator? Or is she just messing with my head and practicing for spring (while enjoying making lots of extra mess and noise?)

:lol: You are welcome to try a nest box you silly human, and she may or may not use it. I've made several futile attempts to get my girl to go to a box, but she continues to lay wherever the mood hits her.
You may be lucky enough to find an egg in the next couple weeks! Enjoy!! :fl
I'm not ready to be a duckgrandmom! :oops: Since there's just these two, I'd need an incubator and more space, plus I'd have to figure out a plan for the eggs. Oh nooooo! Too soooon! :barnie

I have a Silver Appleyard that started laying in November then stopped for three weeks and now is laying every day. After I placed two ceramic eggs in her nest she is consistently laying in the same spot.
I added a ping pong ball to their toy collection when they were about 4 weeks old and she used to sit on it occasionally! :p

Back
Top Bottom