is my eggs fertile? liquid moving inside?

sarahswank

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
Garden City, Kansas
I am candleing eggs at days 15 to hatch. This is their first candling. I have some with obvious veins and what appears to be a chick. But you can see liquid moving inside if you tilt the egg side to side. I assume these are dead. Am I right?

By day 15 over half the egg should be solid and black looking when you candle. If your egg is showing just veins,or mostly veins, your much less than 15 days. Judge the egg you think is quite liquid looking to candleing a non fertilized egg if you can. Don't get rid of any egg until your absolutely sure though, that one egg that you might think won't hatch, could be the first to hatch even. Best of luck with your little guys when they arrive :)

By day 15 over half the egg should be solid and black looking when you candle. If your egg is showing just veins,or mostly veins, your much less than 15 days. Judge the egg you think is quite liquid looking to candleing a non fertilized egg if you can. Don't get rid of any egg until your absolutely sure though, that one egg that you might think won't hatch, could be the first to hatch even. Best of luck with your little guys when they arrive
smile.png
The eggs are mostly solid black, with a tiny bit of veining obvious. They appears to have the appropriate amount of air space for the age and they dont smell. Basicly they look like what a "normal" egg should at their age, but when we were candling we could see a liquid moving up in the air space. almost like the chick is within its membrane and there is a bit of water in the air space. We did a second candling and saw one chick move within the shell, so we can tell atleast not all are dead, but I still cant figure out what the liquid is...

back story on these eggs is that a cat got in the run of the coop yesterday and although it didnt hurt anything, the two broodies both decieded they were going to protect their chicks instead of the eggs that havent yet hatched. (we still dont understand how the broody that should only be at 15 days has 7 chicks already hatched.... but we are still doing to use the 15 days number just in case). Both have been off their nests for atleast 6 hours, but most likely closer to 9 hours. We decieded to gather them up and incubate what seems viable. Just trying to deciede what really is a viable egg or not.

This has just happened to me last week, I had 12eggs and mommy came off because of a disturbance and only 2 eggs hatched out of the 12, they where on day 18 when it happened. And I didn't catch them on time to save them, so I really hope the best for you with your hatch. As for the liquid in the air sac, I have never experienced it,but would be interested in knowing what this could be also.

Back
Top Bottom