Is my flock going down from stress?

jemimarose

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 28, 2013
In another post I talked about 2 stray guineas that are harassing my flock. They belong to my landlady who won't let me dispose of them, but she won't do anything about them either. I've figured out they're both males because they're now chasing and mounting my hens and challenging my rooster as well as fighting with each other (this is the guineas' first summer of maturity). I briefly considered buying 2 guinea hens for them to keep them busy but I'm moving in a month and I can't afford to spend $100 right now.

The chickens spend most of the day in a fenced yard away from the guineas who hang out on the outside of the fence most of the time. In the afternoon we let the chickens out to free-range on the 10-acre homestead (though they never wander beyond an acre or so). This is when they have to deal with the guineas.

Here are the physical problems I'm seeing: 2 hens I thought were molting in the spring have just been looking more and more ragged, their feathers falling out in patches and the remaining feathers just look "worn out" and threadbare. This is August and their feathers are not growing back.

One hen (lowest on totem pole) is being ganged up on by the rest of the flock pretty bad, worse than before the guineas got sex-crazed. She is not the one with falling feathers. Her comb has scabs and the top of her head is bare from pecking. She mostly stays in the 4'x4' chicken house--I'm not sure if it's because she doesn't feel well or is afraid to come out except to grab a few bites and some water. Or maybe she's being bullied BECAUSE she's sick rather than sick because she's being bullied. Yesterday her poop was pure water. I checked her several days ago for external parasites and didn't see any but I dusted the flock just in case. She hasn't improved any.

In the spring before the guineas got mating fever, I was getting 7 eggs a day from my 8 hens. Now I'm pretty sure only 5 of them are laying, and not laying as often because I'll get 3 eggs a day most days, occasionally 4 and once in a while 5. I guess with all the stress I should feel lucky to get any at all.

Anyhow, any info is appreciated--is it the guineas or could it be something else causing the falling feathers and bullying? Please don't say "get rid of the guineas" because 1. I wouldn't know how to catch them and 2. the landlady would have a fit. I'm hoping the chooks can survive the guineas one more month until we move.

You may want to keep the chickens in the fenced area since the Guineas are harassing them that much.

Show photos of the hen that is hiding out. Get a look at her poop, check her over for lice/mites and see that her crop is emptying overnight. Does she lay eggs? Feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid.

Stress is hard on all the birds. Lost feathers due to mating/picking, etc. a lot of times will not be replaced until birds go through a molt.

Stress is hard on all the birds. Lost feathers due to mating/picking, etc. a lot of times will not be replaced until birds go through a molt.
Thanks for those tips. I'll check her crop tomorrow morning. I think she is still laying because I find her in the nest box regularly. I dusted them all for mites etc when I noticed her hiding out, but that hasn't helped. I saw her poo yesterday and it was all water.

I worry about leaving them in the chicken yard all day because they have picked it bare--no bugs or plants left. They so look forward to going out to forage, even though the guineas chase them. I'm concerned they won't get the nutrients they need from just the feed. It says it's complete but they aren't thrilled with any of the different feeds I've gotten them.

Attachments

• IMG_20200808_112521.jpg
    IMG_20200808_112521.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 10
If you are feeding a complete poultry feed (layer/all flock type feed) then they are getting what they need.
Birds can be picky at times with feed or the feed may be a bit old or stale. Check mill dates and buy the freshest you can.

Your hens look like they have Scaly Leg Mites, treat the legs by rubbing an oil, vaseline or Nu Stock cream under and into the scales of the legs.
While you are treating the one that is not feeling well, check the bottom of her feet to see if she has any sores.

Consider getting a fecal float to see if the flock needs de-worming.

If you are feeding a complete poultry feed (layer/all flock type feed) then they are getting what they need.
Birds can be picky at times with feed or the feed may be a bit old or stale. Check mill dates and buy the freshest you can.

Your hens look like they have Scaly Leg Mites, treat the legs by rubbing an oil, vaseline or Nu Stock cream under and into the scales of the legs.
While you are treating the one that is not feeling well, check the bottom of her feet to see if she has any sores.

Consider getting a fecal float to see if the flock needs de-worming.
Thank you, this is good info. I will take your advice. Only a few have the leg mites. I treated them before and most of them are ok now but a few need re-treating.

Back
Top Bottom