Is my goat pregnant?

Ok just like that, no way she is pregnant. I put her in with a buck and she is in standing heat. I didn't let her breed I had a Buck apron on him. I took her back to her pen and removed the buckling.

I spoke with the seller and she is giving me my money back and letting me keep the goat. Now the question is why would she let me keep her for free 🤔 I asked her and she just said she doesn't need her. Well I may try to breed her, I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with her. 😣😕

Do y'all think I should try to breed her?
To answer why she would let you keep the goat and the cash, there are a few reasons I can think of that would be similar to why /I/ would.
A) She really just needed the goat gone and likely would have been giving her away later on if no one had bought her. I've done that with pullets occasonally.
B) Biosecurity. The animal left her farm and therefore is a risk to the others. I've also done this with birds

Ok just like that, no way she is pregnant. I put her in with a buck and she is in standing heat. I didn't let her breed I had a Buck apron on him. I took her back to her pen and removed the buckling.

I spoke with the seller and she is giving me my money back and letting me keep the goat. Now the question is why would she let me keep her for free 🤔 I asked her and she just said she doesn't need her. Well I may try to breed her, I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with her. 😣😕

Do y'all think I should try to breed her?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you keep the doe and breed her, what is the worst that can happen? The worst thing that can happen is that she won't take this time either. You should know in about three months if she is pregnant or not and at that point if she is open you can decide whether to butcher her, keep her as a pasture ornament, or sell her as a pet or meat goat. If you do breed her, keep an eye on her and see if she returns to heat in about five days. Five day heats are not at all unusual when goats start to cycle. When this happens, you just breed the goat again and she will probably take.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you keep the doe and breed her, what is the worst that can happen? The worst thing that can happen is that she won't take this time either. You should know in about three months if she is pregnant or not and at that point if she is open you can decide whether to butcher her, keep her as a pasture ornament, or sell her as a pet or meat goat. If you do breed her, keep an eye on her and see if she returns to heat in about five days. Five day heats are not at all unusual when goats start to cycle. When this happens, you just breed the goat again and she will probably take.
When I got her she had discharge. Then 8 days latter she had discharge again. Now it has been 18 days from the last discharge. So could she have had a 8 day heat cycle? This morning she had a lot of clear discharge.

When I got her she had discharge. Then 8 days latter she had discharge again. Now it has been 18 days from the last discharge. So could she have had a 8 day heat cycle? This morning she had a lot of clear discharge.
With goats ANYTHING is possible. Personally, I think that particular goat may have an infection and that would explain both the discharge and why she didn't take in the first place. When my does would first start to cycle at the beginning of the breeding season, it was not uncommon for them to have a standing heat, accept the buck, and be back in heat about five days later. In this case, they would not settle on the first heat but they would settle on the second heat. If I were in your shoes I would go ahead and breed the doe. If she came back in a few days later I would repeat the breeding. If she came back in after that I would rethink my options. But that's me.

If it were me, I personally wouldn't risk letting my buck breed with her without getting her tested. She may have some kind of STD or something that could be transmitted to the buck. Then he could give it to the rest of your does.

Whether or not to spend the money on testing, would depend on how good her traits are. If she's got great milking lines or the like, she might be worth it. If not, I'd probably list her for sale with an honest description.

If it were me, I personally wouldn't risk letting my buck breed with her without getting her tested. She may have some kind of STD or something that could be transmitted to the buck. Then he could give it to the rest of your does.

Whether or not to spend the money on testing, would depend on how good her traits are. If she's got great milking lines or the like, she might be worth it. If not, I'd probably list her for sale with an honest description.
Your suggestion was a lot better than mine.

I'm not going to breed her just yet. I talked to my husband about it last night and we are going to get her in to see the vet before we do anything with her. My buck was around her today (supervise) and he now acts like he doesn't even know she's there. He smelled her but that was about it. She still has clear discharge today so I'm not sure what's going on. As you can see in the pic the discharge is sticking to her tail.

Attachments

• IMG_20210709_105947409_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210709_105947409_HDR.jpg
    753.4 KB · Views: 10
For what it is worth, this is an odd time of year for a dairy goat to be in heat. As I said before my goats would cycle from about September through February with a few coming in heat in August. I have gotten a few bred in March but I could never count on that. However, she is a Nubian and Nubians are more likely to cycle out of season than the Swiss breeds.

Back
Top Bottom