Is my goat pregnant?

I'm in the minority here, but she doesn't look pregnant to me. If she is, she isn't very far along. The belly is the normal size I would expect to see in a grown non pregnant goat. The udder has not started to fill at all. When a doe is pregnant you will first see changes in the rear udder where it joins the body. I don't see any evidence of filling at that point. Bear in mind I could be wrong. I have been fooled before, but if I were a betting person I would bet that the doe is not pregnant. One thing you can do is to stand behind the doe and clasp your hands together right in front of the udder. Push up sharply. You should be able to feel the kids, if any, as they come back down.

I'm in the minority here, but she doesn't look pregnant to me. If she is, she isn't very far along. The belly is the normal size I would expect to see in a grown non pregnant goat. The udder has not started to fill at all. When a doe is pregnant you will first see changes in the rear udder where it joins the body. I don't see any evidence of filling at that point. Bear in mind I could be wrong. I have been fooled before, but if I were a betting person I would bet that the doe is not pregnant. One thing you can do is to stand behind the doe and clasp your hands together right in front of the udder. Push up sharply. You should be able to feel the kids, if any, as they come back down.
Thanks. What could the clear discharge be if she's not pregnant?

I agree, she doesn’t look pregnant. :hmm

Last edited:
Thanks. What could the clear discharge be if she's not pregnant?
A clear discharge is just a clear discharge. It may or may not mean anything or nothing at all. A goat can have a clear discharge for any number of reasons, but a sign of pregnancy it is not. A goat will usually have a clear discharge when she is in heat. At that time she will also be flagging her tail, restless, and more vocal than usual. Goats often have a thick cloudy discharge for a few days after they are bred. They will have a clear discharge when they first go into labor, but that is like a string and it gets more copious as labor progresses.

It is very possible that the discharge you saw was because she was in heat. This is not the usual breeding season for dairy goats, but she is a Nubian and some Nubians will cycle throughout the year.

If the reason you bought her is because you were told she was pregnant, ask for at least a partial refund.

Certainly do ask for a refund (at least partial) if she does not have kids, or return her, but I would wait a bit longer first. It's only been two days, and she was supposed to be due "any day." It would be frustrating to return her and then have her deliver babies right after that!

Back
Top Bottom